How I’m successfully stopping my PPI

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello all. I’ve read many posts on here about trying to come off PPIs, but can’t due to acid rebound. I’m currently in this process and have been doing well, so I thought I’d share. But first, some background.  I’ve had GERD (diagnosed) for about 12 years and have been on PPIs (Omeprazole 20mg tablets) for the same amount of time.  I have tried over and over again to try to get off the PPI due to long-term questionable safety.  I’ve tried diet, excercise, tapering off by taking PPI every other day, etc and none of it worked.  I’d get horrible acid rebound and go right back on the PPI.  I’m not here to say that what I’m doing will work for everyone.  Just thought I’d share my experience so far.  About 3 months ago, I decided I’d make DRASTIC changes to my diet.  I stopped drinking coffee and all caffeinated beverages. I also stopped all soda, juice, milk....everything.  Drinking strictly water.  I also stopped eating ALL breads.  This even includes pizza, salad croutons and anything else that is has bread. I started eating a diet high in proteins, fruits and vegetables and low on carbs.  I also stopped eating desserts and other sweets.  While my BMI was within the healthy range prior to doing this, I lost 14 pounds in about 6 weeks. I’m male, so this was mainly excess belly fat. Then I went to a different doctor.  Every MD I have been to always tells me to stay on Prilosec if it’s controlling my symptoms and have been worthless.  So I saw a Naturopathic Doctor.  The Naturopathic Doctor put me on 6 mg of melatonin at night, which helps to strengthen the lower esophagus sphincter.  (Yes, there is research behind this...you can Google it.) Also put me on L-glutamine, which helps to heal the esophagus .  From there, she prescribed Prilosec in powder form — which I didn’t even know existed.  The Prilosec powder comes in 2.5mg pouches.  So I started off using 4 pouches per day (10mg), which is half the dose I had been on for years.  I did that for a week....and had very little heartburn when going to the lower dose.  After one week, I tapered down to 3 pouches (7.5mg) and did that for a week, also with very little discomfort.  Now I’m down to 2 pouches (5mg) and again, very little if any discomfort.  I plan on sticking to my eating plan and tapering down to 1 pouch (2.5 mg) and hopefully take the final step of tapering completely off.  So far, so good and no hyperacid rebound. I’ll report back in a few weeks with a progress update.  I’m crossing my fingers that I can finally be free of a PPI. 😊

5 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sounds very interesting. I, too, am trying to get off daily PPI use. I am going to try the melatonin and some of your other suggestions. Please post updates to see if this works long term. Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.