How I'm tackling my high blood pressure

Posted , 5 users are following.

I spoke to my doctor yesterday and he says he may need to treat my blood pressure, even though it is only marginally over what it should be.  My sister has high blood pressure also and is on Ramapril which she says is very good and to mention it to him.  She seems to think I will only need to be on about 5mg of it daily and meantime I have taken my diet and exercise routine completely in hand and come off 90% fattening and sweet foodstuffs, and gone over to decaff coffee, and its been a "lifestyle change" rather than just a "diet".

Actually I am quite proud of how I have managed to stick rigidly to it all for nearly a month now without being tempted much off it, although there were some tough moments and "meltdowns" which my sister got me over and my dear nephew was also intrumental, and the lifestyle change already feels like an old friend.

A few weeks ago it came in at 200 over 120 and now is down to a much less worrying 154 ish over 80 to 100, so there is less of a problem for the doctor to treat now I've taken myself in hand.

I'm also a schizphrenic and anti psychotic drugs although necessary have piled on the weight over the years with cravings and slowing of metabolic rate hand in hand demons but I am now seeing about going on a drug that is said to cause actual shedloads of weight loss in many clients who go onto it, so I will be over the moon if my Consultant approves and gives it the go ahead, as it all helps.

Best wishes

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Well done you! It's always good to hear from someone who's taking responsibility for their own health, albeit with a bit of medical support. I do hope you can find a better antipsychotic drug.

• Posted

Well thanks so much for the encouragement Lily

Take care Fiona

• Posted

I also agree, its uplifting to hear of someone who's working on getting healthy, ramapril and enalapril are all good safe hypertension drugs, my OH has been on enalapril for 18 years andf

• Posted

Good luck with your new lifestyle change and so glad you have support from your sister your BP readings were quite High I'm so glad you are managing them better and that you didn't have any side effects or symptoms from the high BP some of them can be quite drastic from shaking and tremors to loss of hearing and weakness I'm glad you're on this forum we will help you we've all been through this and we can be okay we just need two support each other. Best regards Diana

• Posted

Thank you Diana, I've had lots of encouragement about this and yes, isn't it a great forum. I'll be keeping everyone posted,

Best wishes, Fiona

• Posted

P's I actu ally lost 7lb first two weeks so going good!

• Posted

Hi again Fiona.

First of all, congratulations on the weight loss! But be careful not to overdo it. 7lb in two weeks is actually quite a lot - unless you're morbidly obese, which I suspect you're not. Excessive weight loss can have a bad effect on the immune system, generating all kinds of problems, mental as well as physical. Also weight loss can slow down - or even be reversed - after the initial period, even if you're still on the same diet. So don't get downhearted if you don't continue to lose at the same rate. Regardless of weight loss, if you're eating more healthily you'll still reap the benefits.

You're doing really great. Just remember it's not a competition - even with yourself!wink

• Posted

Hi Lily, thanks for your response, yes I was morbidly obese, just, being 18 stone, and my BMI was 40. I agree though I lost a lot because it was my first week, I lost 6lb that week and just 1lb the next, but 1lb a week I believe is a whole stone oVer three months or so my dietician tells me, so that's good really. Take care x

• Posted

Good to hear that, Fiona. Yes, a faster rate of weight loss is good when your BMI is as high as that. Really glad that you're managing to do something about it. I'm sure your dietician will be happy too!

• Posted

Hi Fiona,

Well done and congratulations on your lifestyle changes.

Like you, I had raised blood pressure and was overweight - in the obese end of overweight!  Last summer I watched a TV programme about people with Type 2 diabetes who were able to lower their blood sugar levels, or eradicate the T2D problems.  They were following the 8 week blood sugar diet.  Another benefit had been a lowering of raised blood pressure.  (I didn't have T2D nor was I prediabetic).

I decided to follow this diet and not only did I lose a significant amount of weight - I'm now almost in the 'normal/healthy' weight range -,but my blood pressure fell to normal and below levels, and I no longer take BP medication.  I had been taking Lisinopril 2.5 gm. 

My GP was delighted with both my BP and weight loss, and was pleased that a patient had taken responsibility for their own health and lifestyle.  

So maybe you can lower your BP without taking medication, simply by diet and lifestyle changes. 

Good luck on your journey.

• Posted

Hi, that is so heartening to hear, very well done and thank you, it gives me a lot of encouragement x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.