How I treated Pityriasis Rosea in two weeks!!

Posted , 39 users are following.

I first noticed a patch of red skin on my inner forearm. At first I thought it must be a burn from a straightener but after a week i noticed other patches of red dry skin on my lower stomach. I didn't think anything of it for a few days but it soon spread all over my stomach and chest. I lost all of my confidence and felt so ugly with it. Unless you have it I don't think people understand how it can make you feel. I eventually went to a doctor and she diagnosed it pityriasis rosea. She told me there was nothing I could do and it would eventually go away, however, it could last up-to 3 months. I'm going on holidays soon so I wanted to get rid of it ASAP. I scanned through many articles and forums to find a solution. I started washing with head and shoulders shampoo and aveeno body wash. Once I had my shower I noticed the head and shoulders really dried out my skin and the patches started turning into dry skin and flaking off. I used e45 to try even out the skin so it wasn't too dry. I then went to a sunbed for ten minutes. The rash got really red but by the next day my chest was back to normal and I only have a few flakey dry patches on my lower stomach. It looks a million times better before. Whats better is that this has cleared up in two weeks so hopefully with one or two more sun bed sessions it will be back to normal!

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How long did it take after the bigger oval patch appeared to get the small rash everywhere? My son has the oval patch, but no rash yet.
  • Posted

I used the anti-dandruff treatment and it worked immediately! My PR is almost gone and it's only been a week. I was also trying to get some sun on my torso and neck where the rash was, so that probably helped too. Thank you to everyone on here who gave advice.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with PR a week ago. I didn't notice the herald patch at all I really can't recognize it now too. I started to get worried when the rash started to appear . I didn't go to a doctor because it wasn't itchy . Eventually after 3 days I went to see a doctor and he immediately knew that I had PR. He asked me for the herald patch but he didn't try to find it. The itching started the same day and it gets worse everyday, especially in the morning and before I go to bed.Sometimes it feels like someone is burning me with cigarettes. The doctor said that there's no treatment but he gave me a shampoo so I don't irritate the rash. The rash spread on the stomach, the back, the legs, the arms and my neck. I do agree that the itching starts when I'm stressed and when I think of it. Also the doctor said that the rush will be gone by itself and it will last from 6 to 8 weeks. I will try the head and shoulders treatment I don't think I'll try sunbed sessions but maybe expose the rash to natural sun .
  • Posted

Hi Nicole

I am suffering from PR from last one year. I did fungal tests done, took antiallergy tablets , applied steroids cream, now taking UVB rays by standing in the chamber. It has improved but on and off few are coming . Few are very stubborn and not going. Don't know what to do. I am seeing few more coming in inner thighs and back of shoulder. Please suggest some remedy.

• Posted

Hi I have been reading your blog. I have been diagnosed with PR because if stess. unfortunately mines is so sensitive when I touch it, it's quite sore. Been reading people's comments and seen it takes a while for it to go away I'm freaking out as I get married in 5 months and it's all over my back and chest, spreading up my neck and down my arms. It's such a horrible thing, never had this in my life!

• Posted

How many days a week were u using the tanning bed and for how long? What's e45?

• Posted

I don't usually go on these things but I just need to say thank you to you all. I had pityriasis rosea (didn't realise until a few weeks in) and the itchiness was horrible! And it spread all over my neck and chest and tummy and back and arms and i was freaking out and nothing helped (I covered myself in Sudocreme every night!). But then I came on here and read about the tanning and the head and shoulders, and then read a load more forums and more of the same. I went for 3 or 4 6 minute tannins sessions over 2 weeks and I started washing with head and shoulders and the rash went within 2 weeks! But within days I saw huge improvements! It's really worth doing the head& shoulders (in a cold shower!) and the tanning. And the rash dried up and peeled off. And I'm so grateful it's gone. I just hope more people read about this and find the solution smile

• Posted

Hi all just want to say I've had pityriasis rosea for around 8-9 weeks now I've tried absolutely everything to get rid of it and right up until a few days ago I was finding new spots all over my stomach and spreading to my arms ! It was getting me down so much! But now their finally disappearing I used sunbeds and instantly helped I've moisturised 3-4 times a day using cetraben ! I used head and shoulders for around 5 days which made my rash WORSE. I then used hydrocortisone for the last 3 days and it's cleared the rash right up! I have a few tiny spots left which is nothing in comparison to when it first started ! Have faith and moisturise vigorously! And sun exposure helps a lot

• Posted

Hi

I have been diagnosed with pyitrius as well. I am going to try your methods because I have been dealing with this for about 9 months. I hope it never returned. Thank you so much debbie2751

• Posted

HinDebbie! I am in the same boat. I just found this forum and am about to head to the store to pick up products. I am desperate! I have been dealing with this for 3 weeks and it keeps getting worse. Does yours itch? Mine is so itchy and so raw feeling. I'm covered from my neck to my knees.....ugh! Please let me know how these ideas work for you. Tomorrow I will hit the tanning bed.

• Posted

Hi Laura! Just found this forum. This is my 2nd week with PR. Wanted to see how you are doing and if the head and shoulders and tanning bed have helped you? 
  • Posted

Harold Patch here. Long time Pityriasis sufferer. Don't know how I got this. One day I just started itching like crazy around my collarbone area. Many patches of this stuff showed up everywhere n my body. The only body parts that were spared were head, hands, feet, pubic, and butt. Everywhere else had the rash on it. Patches of it everywhere, and severe on the chest area. I have tried everything. A week of cortisone, a week of Benadryl cream, 2 weeks of calamine lotion. Then I tried using Head and Shoulders as a body wash. Although I still have it, the best results were using Head and Shoulders as a body wash, then after everything dried out, hit EVERY red patch with Calamine. If you miss one, that is where it will flare up. Do this for two weeks to get rid of the patches with bumps. After that there will still be itching and redness areas (like a sunburn). At this point your arsenal should include Benadryl (makes you drowsy, take only before bedtime). Benadryl cream, Benadryl Gel, and a good aloe/vit E based lotion. Each day something will work better than others. If you get a flare up, switch to something else in the arsenal. Eventually things get more manageable. After 8 weeks I still haven't gotten rid of this completely, but definitely have a better handle on it. Areas that have fully recovered get an oatmeal/Shea butter lotion (skin has gone through hell and needs to rejuvinate). Thanks for the H&S suggestion. It made the difference between starting to get rid of it, or another month of hell.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.