How ill do you feel ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

I've been unwell for several months doctors have told me my folic acid is unreadable it's so low and ferritin is at 4 I've had b12 injections for several years an it's above what it should be now

I can't take iron tablets they make me very ill and turn me yellow

How do you all feel what symptoms do u have ?

All my doc said was my thyroid an period was effecting it an try to eat more green veg an red meat I am jus looking for some reassurance my symptoms are from being deficient

Thanks all x

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

are you taking folate, maybe you need infection more often have you been on the facebook page for PA x
    • Posted

I'm starting folic acid today I feel worse around my period I literally can't stop sleeping lol what is the Facebook page thank u for replying x
    • Posted

My b12 is fine in fact it's above what it should be now

I'm having bloods taken tues as they can't understand why it's dipping so low xx

• Posted

If you look at the Pernicious Anaemia Society website you can find a full symptom list. If you are low in iron, then you may not be able to use the B12 injections properly. Meaning you have a good level in your blood, but it isn't reaching your cells.

There are gentler forms of iron than tablets, I believe there are sachets of ferrous fumerate. Some people who are sensitive to taking iron, find these are OK. Have a search on the Internet, or go back to your GP for more help.

Do you have an underactive thyroid too, and is it being treated by your GP?

My symptoms were severe tiredness, to the point of exhaustion. Aches and pains in my joints, burning sensations on my skin, numbness and pins and needles. Foggy brain, unable to think of names of things, or have coherent thoughts. Also loss of balance, shoulder bumping walls etc....Marion

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

You need the folic and ferritin to actually make the b12 injections work properly. It is possible that you have used up these stores with the time you have been having the b12.

look at the pernicious anemea society site - it might be of use to you. There is much information within it.

• Posted

Thank u for the reply

Is that what I have ? My doctor was very unworried an brushed me off I really just want some answers if that's why I feel so ill all the time

It seems everyone focuses on thyroid or anxiety lol

• Posted

Also the b12 is high now and I've noticed after a injection I become quite ill could this be why ?
  • Posted

Could be a connection. Do take a look through health unlocked site it might give you some answers and is frequently used by fellow sufferers.
    • Posted

Thank you I am a member of health unlocked I keep forgetting log in lol I will take a look I did join a site today which has so far been helpful

Thank you for helping

• Posted

I'm sorry Samantha, my comment has been held back by the moderator, as I was recommending a gentler form of iron for you to take. I also suggested you look at the Pernicious Anaemia Society website for more information. They can offer advice on all reasons for low B12, not just Pernicious Anaemia.

My symptoms were extreme fatigue (exhaustion), burning skin, aches & pains, foggy brain, loss of balance, numbness & pins and needles.

Marion

• Posted

Thank u so much

I have just joined a group on Facebook it seems very helpful

It seems that symptoms are varied an wide spread but doctors don't take it very seriously

I'm hating these symptoms at the moment especially the fuzzy eyes an anxiety

Thank u again for replying x

• Posted

Hi. I too have been taking cyanocobamin shots monthly for 2 years because of positive intrinsic factor antibody and ferritin Was at lowest was a 6. I had a historectomy because of iron deficiency anemia and felt better. Still had fatigue with stress and exercise, depression And pain in spine pelvic floor and legs. My b12 level was 350 though which according to some is gray zone. I asked for hrdroxycobalamin injection's when nearological symptoms came. And also asked for foliate not folic acid and feel much better. I have parathyroid disease too and thyroid nodules. My daughters have autoimmune thyroiditis also known as hashimotos. Still trying to figure out the continued weird walking, but double blurred vision is now minimal and vertigo is gone. They took me off hydroxocobalimin because b12 is above normal now. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thank you that does help

I'm hoping that a blood test will tell me exactly what is going on so I'm hoping to be able to post results very soon

I hate the blurry vision an anxiety at the moment

I really need a better doctor I think

Thank u so much for the help and I'm glad ur getting a little better x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.