How important is it that I should try to get diagnosis for bipolar disorder?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have always felt sort of isolated from society, it's hard to describe and I'm not saying I am a complete outcast either, I try to just fit in being myself but it seems like things mean a lot more to me than they do to others, I overthink a lot but I'm so used to it, I don't even realize I am doing it. Even sort of as i type this it feels like I'm lying to myself but a lot more things would make sense to me if I got a diagnosis. My dad is all i live with, I'm 17 and my mind is really jumbled and I'm not sure if I'm just hormonal teen, or if I might need help, often i really don't even think to try to look for help because it seems like the things i think about people wouldn't understand even if i could figure out how to put it into words, but its like im never in a decent mood I'm either so down I just try to stop thinking altogether or i feel this energy that i can't really describe besides that it is good and it feels like my heart is full.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I wouldn't suggest you necessarily "try" to get a diagnosis for anything. Nothing you have suggested screams bipolar to me but you certainly seem to have a lot going on in your head and it's probably worth seeking some medical help if it's affecting your day to day life. Then, if you do have an illness, a proper diagnosis can be given which will lead to you getting appropriate treatment. If you don't have an illness but still need support then that can happen too.

Either way I hope you start to feel more settled soon.

• Posted

Yeah I think I was just overthinking again, I'd go seek a professional but i just haven't really had the time about a year or so back i lived with my mom and our relationship was very very toxic, we lived out in the countryside and when i was younger before and my grandma lived with us until she passed on a few years back  and they used to get in really heated arguments and would occasionally spark into violence, after my grandma died its almost like i took the place of my mom and my mom took my grandmothers, she would always be upset because she doesn't have anybody to rely on besides me and my brother as most of her side of the family is already dead, so we would get into arguments daily that almost always turned violent and she would call the police though i never could try to do anything back (i don't know how i even could) so eventually i started just giving up and turned to drugs like xanax and lsd because for a while i was convinced thats what happiness is, im still not sure cause im young, but eventually as expected things really fell through and she kicked me out, i moved in with my dad and i've been trying to get my life together, i don't use any of that stuff anymore cause i felt like that was became a big part of the problem, and i got back in school, but i just cant seem to find my escape or thing that gives me ambition like everyone else seems to have, I don't even talk about this stuff to my dad or anybody, only some of my friends back where i used to live know. Also, towards the time she kicked me out she met this guy who she "married" and he acted like he loved her but robbed our house and stole from her, i tried to tell her he was no good but she eventually chose him over me because of my drug abuse and his sweet talking, now that im here he showed his true colors and even put her in the hospital. At one point me and her did come to our senses that we needed help really bad and we were going to get evaluated, but we both changed our minds and just promised to get better which as i look at now was completely meaningless.

• Posted

I didn't mean to go on a rant, I really just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to give me some advice, I apologize.

• Posted

Don't worry about ranting at all. It sounds like you've had a lot on your plate, especially for someone so young.

Well done for getting off the drugs - it may not feel like it at the time but they are so bad for your mental health it's unreal. If you don't have time to seek help yet then do what you can to take care of your mental health - a regular routine, good sleep, exercise, a good diet, keep off the drugs and alcohol (even smoking cigarettes can increase anxiety and depression). It sounds boring but I promise you it will make you feel better in the long run.

And babe honestly, don't worry about that ambition thing. I felt exactly the same way when I was your age and you have got SO much time so just do what makes you happy for now, get your studies done and just figure out what you like along the way. It's a long road but it'll all fall in to place.

• Posted

Okay, I really appreciate your time and all, I'm gonna do my best to just focus on whats important for me and people i care about, try to do more stuff to help keep a positive outlook on life, really thank you though, i hope you have a great day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.