How is 2-4 beers abuse?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello well I went to my Doctor last night about my anxiety and admited I drink around 2-4 beers every night and about 6-10 beers on weekends and all of a sudden she said thats abuse. Now I have to see a anxiety and drugs and alcohol counseller. She also said I shouldn't be drinking at all with this medication i take called Olanzapine 5mg.

In your opinion is that abuse? I don't feel bad from drinking that much really.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

HI there. It seems to be too much drinking to much and tricky to cateforise "abuse". I am not a medical person but lots of medicines do state not to drinki at al.. I suggest to be careful and listen to your counsellor and I do wish you best of luck!   
  • Posted

It is more than the recommended amounts but I wouldn't say it goes as far as abuse during the week. However, alcohol causes anxiety and you should try and cut down. If you feel that you CAN'T cut down, then you could be heading for a problem. Your weekend use IS a problem.

Olanzepine is not normally prescribed for anxiety.

It would be good to see a counsellor to deal with the anxiety.

• Posted

Nah I take EFEXOR-XR for the anxiety but Olanzapine for deprssion and obsessive thoughts. But the Docotor was only worried about the Olanzapine while drinking.
  • Posted

Not what you want to hear but you if you need to drink every evening then you're for trouble. I know I've been there. It only gets worse in time. Try to have 2 or 3 alcohol free days a week. If you can't then you definitely have an alcohol addiction and will need to do something about it before it takes over your life. As it does with most addicts. Also I was always told medication doesn't do its job if you're drinking, it counteracts its full potential. Sorry but good luck to you..
  • Posted

When I quit drinking I went to the doctor she put me on Olanzapine 5mg for 5 days and warned me not to drink on it.... Sorry cant be much help just wanted you to know what I was told . Best of luck to you smile
  • Posted

I made a poster before that said "Don't drink alcohol -- Come play with dolls". It means for you to go back to doing innocent things.
  • Posted

Hi, I believe the medical profession considers it to be abuse, apparently drinking double the dailly allowances so 6 units for a woman, 8 for a man (a standard pint of Fosters is 2.3 units) is binge drinking.  I found it really hard to believe so "little" is classed as so bad!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.