How is everyone?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there, How are you all doing? My week has been as usual. Felt rough most of Thursday with sore ness down below. Then was OK on Friday till 2pm when the symptoms came back. But they were tailing off again by 5pm. Now Saturday I feel uncomfortable again. So up and down, on and off. Can't make any sense of it other than to think my hormone levels must fluctuate all the time, resulting in the symptoms fluctuating too. Anyway I'm at the gynaecologist a week on Monday. Was going out a bit this afternoon but can't be bothered when I'm feeling like this sad

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shirley sorry you have been suffering and we all know how uncomfortable the soreness can be, un comfortable to walk, sit down and be a 'normal' wife.

Some of us have understanding hubbys where some of us clearly dont.

Apart from the sorness how you feeling? is this new to you or just recently started?

Sue 

• Posted

Started in the summer of 2014. Went to work that morning and felt that soreness and irritation. Didn't expect it to be an hormonal problem requiring HRT to fix it. Not that it has fixed it. It hasn't! I was on GYNEST for about 6 months and Vagifem also for 6 months. Hardly any use at all so I came off HRT in August last year. A couple of months later I went to Docs again and she prescribed me with Ovestin but I only used it once. It was a Saturday night. I was so sore in bed that night that I could hardly sleep.

Since then I have just been using Vit E S...........s and H......l to try and keep the soreness at bay. Needless to say, it does help with the wanting to wee all the time. I have got a gynaecologist appointment a week on Monday so I will see where that takes me and I am looking at the idea of using Sea .......... Capsules as it is meant to mimic estrogen and I would rather avoid HRT if I can.

Must admit I had never heard of Vaginal Atrophy till I got it! It was news to me. Wish I could get over it. I've had enough. As you say, it can be uncomfortable to walk, sit and stand etc. As for hubby, well to be honest we've not had a sex life for many years now. V A apart, I am just building up to my 2nd hip replacement in April! But I'm in decent health really. How about you? Shirley

• Posted

Needless to say, it doesn't help with the wanting to wee all the time!
    • Posted

How is your water intake, Shirley?  Sometimes the pain you describe and the urgency sensation feeling like you want to pee can be the result of bladder issues too like UTI's.  The docs may be going after the wrong thing.  Did you get tested for a bladder infection?  These are very common as we age.  If there is a tiny leakage and urine seeps out it can cause profuse itching and allow bacteria to get back up inside.  Try drinking a full glass of water when symptoms arise and see if they abate.  Hope this helps.  Cystitis will also cause these symptoms and drinking plenty of clear fluids might be a help.Good luck. 
    • Posted

Hi Yvonne, Thanks for your message. My water intake isn't very good if I'm honest. But I know I've not got a UTI or Cystitis. My symptoms are all part of the Vaginal Atrophy. I will try and drink more water though and see if it helps. I was sore from about 12 noon till 3pm today and its eased up again. It seems to come and go as it pleases! The wanting to wee all the time is most uncomfortable too but at least there is no pain or soreness when I do wee. Thanks again. Shirley
    • Posted

Hi sorry to hear your still suffering it's really difficult to manage this especially without Hrt. I wonder if you could take Nortriptyline for the pain as this has really helped me. The nerves have become really sensitive and the slightest touch feels more painful than it should. Other benefits have been I sleep deeper so feel more refreshed in the morning plus in a better mood as the constant irritation puts me on edge. Let us know what the gynecologist says :-)
    • Posted

Hi Shirley

My experience is similar to yours except I don't seem to suffer UTIs. I did have the urgency to wee thing though and solved that with plevic floor exercises. The following is my strategy...vagifem, Monday, Weds, Fri preferably when I have not stuffed myself with other lubricants! also, balance active menopause moisture pessaries at least one a day, ususally by 2pm but also now I use my Replens dispencer to put Aloe vera organic gel right up inside and also around the outside, daily and when required...plus occasionally i use Balance active BV, only because I get them on prescription. And I have sex with myself to relax the area and to keep producing my own juices and recently I looked up pelvic floor relaxation exercises which seem to work. Phew! it's a trial and error thing but what's helped me with my mental health and in identifying what works is I have been recording my daily experience and scoring 0-5 with 3-5 meaning it's unacceptable and I might consider full blown HRT. Still considering it and see my Gyne in April. On the sex thing, sometimes I've gone for it despite feeling very uncomfortable and it's been fine and made the whole area feel better. Oil based lubricants seem to be best.

• Posted

Hi Tracy, Thanks for your message. Yes really difficult to cope without HRT and even when I did use HRT, it did little to help. Last night I was so sore, I went to bed at 9pm to sleep it off! I had used a Vit E Suppository during the day too. So yes I will ask about the Nortriptyline when I see the gynaecologist on Monday. Yes the irritation puts me on edge too. Plus I don't feel like going anywhere or doing anything because of it but sometimes I have to force myself. Yes I will let you know what the gynaecologist says. Thanks again.
    • Posted

Hi Susan, Its not a good thing to experience is it. But I've not actually had a UTI since October so I'm glad of that much. I'm glad you managed to sort out the urgency to wee with pelvic floor exercises. With me its more about the feeling of wanting to wee all the time, not so much about urgency. And I think that only HRT will sort that out for me. That is quite a strategy you have got in place! But if it works for you, that's the main thing isnt it. Perhaps I should start scoring my daily experience too. As for sex, its me and hubby have not slept together for years anyway, so in my case, it doesn't apply. My favourite lubricant so far is Vit E Suppositories. I've tried Replens and Haylofemme but for me they are not as good as the Vit E. I want to try Sea Buckthorn capsules as I believe they mimic HRT. Anyway I will see how I get on with the gynaecologist on Monday. Thanks again.
    • Posted

I'm on a low dose of 10mg but I've heard some take anything upto 50mg but it depends on your level of pain and tolerance. The dry mouth is a little inconvenient but I just sip water throughout the day others use a saliva preparation from the chemist.

Hope the app goes well and you get something that helps.

• Posted

Thanks Tracy, Will report back here when I have seen gynaecologist on Monday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.