How is everyone going? What are your thoughts about your osteoporosis?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had my second bone density test which did not show any noticeable change overall.

I still am choosing not to take fosamax or have the Prolia injections.

I am in Australia so our choices are limited.

I am, however, attempting to improve my bones naturally which I understand is a long shot.

More studies would be good that highlight the risks of doing nothing or trying various means of improving our bones whether by diet and exercise or some other means.

It is very complicated for many reasons, one being that most of us have other health issues.

Some have tried the drugs and have been either pleased or displeased with that choice.

We do not have to agree but continued updates or debates would be good.

So, how are you going?

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I came across an interesting study which shows rather definitvely, I think, that non-pharmaceutical methods can work, and very effectvely too.  I'll private message you the link.  I think maintaining your bone mass without medication is a very good sign.  I'm hoping to achieve that, in spite of having been on prednisone for just about a year now.  My next scan is scheduled for October.

What I find disturbing, disappointing, is that so little is made of the importance of establishing and maintaining good bone health throughout life, even though osteoporosis is a major public health issue.  Here we are offered regular free screening for breast cancer and bowel cancer.  There's a lot of publicity about signs of stroke and heart attack.  Lung problems, including cancer and asthma, also get a lot of media attention.  But you never hear about bones.  I think I should have been offered an opportunity to have a scan when I broke my leg two years ago.  Preferably I should have had a DXA scan several years ago, before I was in my 60s!

• Posted

Agree with Anhaga response. I'd like your link too if you don't mind. wink

Mscamboot, may I ask are you a smaller build, thin boned person? 

What kind of weight lifting did you do and how consistent? Light weights, heavy weights? 

How long eat healthy? Any alcohol?

i ask for selfish reasons, not to put you on spot. I used to think same of myself, but as I learn more now I'm looking back and seeing where I could have improved.  Maybe I did eat more unhealthy things for my body, or drank too much alcohol/wine, I definately stressed too much on things, way too much, more of my life. So how much did that affect my body properly obsorbing nutrients? How "acid" did I make my body if any of that concept is true.

I'm just bummed to hear you did all the things they say to do but you still have OP. I was a runner, triathlete, but last 5 years or longer now, I didn't do much except walk or jog a little, a few weights but not consistent. Then big stress, then PMR. 

I want so bad to prove the doctors wrong! wink 

• Posted

I've thought for a long time that one of the best things that happened to me was getting a job in the public library at the age of 48, which led to me shelving books for the following seven years, among other things.  Constant movement, bending, lifting, pushing, pulling.  Plus walking both to and from work and recreationally.  Came at a very good time in my life so probably helped to counteract menopausal bone loss, which I really didn't know about.
    • Posted

I agree Anhaga. 70 was far too late for me going on my tscore. And again I agree with lack of knowledge and information much earlier in our fifties at least when going through menopause.

If only we could wind back the clock with what we know now.

I always thought I would be fine because of good diet.

• Posted

Hi Layne TX.

I'm small boned and average weight ( some call me slim) yes small boned ladies and Asian ladies are more prone to the disease. Heavy built ladies have more weight to carry, hence stronger bones, but not always.

I still lift weights whilst lying down and they are fairly heavy. I have lifted for a few years but for the last 7 years had a heavy, physical job too as a personal care worker in aged care. I power walked often. My diet has always been good and I've been taking calcium tablets for the last 40 years along with others. My late father had an interest in a healthy living and was an avid reader of health books. I know many years ago he told me to look after my bones. I didn't pay too much attention but started taking calcium tablets. I've always been a lover of yogurt and cheese and for the last 20 years I ate 2 tubs of yogurt everyday. I will say that I haven't had a yogurt for the last few months due to the level of sugar content. I do drink socially, mainly wine. I do look back and I did do everything right, so the healthy, exercise way didn't do my bones any good or maybe if I hadn't looked after myself they would have been a lot worse. I must admit though apart from my bones and a bit of IBS I'm very healthy. I won't condem anyone for trying diet/ exercise, it's your choice. I'm just saying I lived the healthy/ exercise way and it still got me. All I know if you have osteoporosis and you break a bone, especially your ankle like I did. You can end up with a disability, with severe pain, bones may be none Union and its Debilitating. I was NOT walking without any aid until 5 MONTHS post op. Yes I jumped to take Prolia because I know what hell and depression a broken bone can cause and I'm not risking another one. I wasn't driving for 6 months. I still am in pain and I can no longer work on my feet. I have my good and bad days. I take ages to fire up and get going in the morning, due to pain and stiffness in my foot and ankle ( yes it caused my foot to have problems too) without you have been in this situation you have no idea what osteoporosis can do. Yes it's the silent disease and I'm not wanting it to rise in fury through another broken bone. 🙂

• Posted

So sorry. Yeah, I just read today our bones develop most until age 30 then starts going down. I don't remember what I ate back then. As a child all I remember was candy, steak and potatoes. Oh and grilled cheese sandwiches, probably on white bread. Was always skinny. Jumped trampoline as a kid until age 18. Don't remember drinking much milk, though now they say milk doesn't matter much. Cheese was that nasty American (fake?) cheese.  Gosh...thanks mom. And I mentioned before, she's 84 and no osteoporosis as she been on HRT for 40 years. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.