How is it that in 2014 the only option to detect cervical cancer is by having a smear?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have not had one for years as it is so painful and humiliating. The nurses at my GP's arent very patient or reassuring and all they can say is "relax". How is it possible to relax when is stranger is forcing something into your vagina? Its like legalised assault. I got a bee in my bonnet on the matter and found an article by a female GP about the CSA test, I also found this:

There's a new blood test - it's called the CSA Test (Cervical Specific Antigen) - it was patented in around 2004 - unlike the unreliable pap smear - this simple blood test is almost 100% accurate..

So if it was patented in 2004 why is it not available?  Men would not enjoy having a trowel shoved into their rectums so why do women have to suffer such pain and humiliation?

3 likes, 101 replies

101 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

This is a reply i got to a query re CSA etc from Cancer Research UK.  Strange response to say the least.  Nothing about the HPV test.  I shall ask them about that.  I think some folk on this discussion are better informed... (sorry Cancer research UK).........

Thank you for getting in touch with us.  I can understand you having questions after what you had heard about the smear test, but I want to reassure you that the smear test has proved to be extremely effective.  No screening test is ever fool proof, but rates of cervical cancer have fallen dramatically since the screening programme using the smear test was introduced.

Although there are a few mentions of the Cervical Specific Antigen (CSA) test on the internet, I have not been able to find any research papers about it that have been reviewed by other scientists and researchers.  I have also asked our health information team if they were aware of any research papers that had looked into this test and they are unfamiliar with it too.  So I think it is safe to say that, as yet, it is not known if this test is likely to be helpful in checking for cervical cancer and that it should not be relied on instead of the cervical smear test as part of a screening programme.  As far as I know the CSA test is not available in the UK.

• Posted

Hi Anne

On another forum I read a post from a woman who contacted the inventor of the CSA blood test, he told her the test was effectively blocked. I wouldn't be surprised to find this is exactly what happened, I'd expect it actually, there are too many who make a lot of money out of population testing and excess, they have no interest in helping women, it's about maximimizing and maintaining high profits. A self-test device (the Delphi Screener) that identifies the roughly 5% who are HPV+ so pap testing could be targeted, is a huge threat to their business model. Options will only be offered to those women who seek them out or when enough women become informed and start demanding something better. (and rejecting the current very expensive programs) The new Dutch program is IMO, the best program in the world for those who wish to test, but many will do all they can to keep it out and if they must reluctantly accept change at some point, make sure there is enough excess/business for them. This is likely to happen IMO, as the programs know these people can scare the herd if they don't get their way, the old, "we're concerned women will die with this new program".

When you keep women in the dark you leave them vulnerable, look around, that IMO, is exactly what's happened, I have never seen an ethical and evidence based screening program, I see women being coerced, pressured, misled, harmed, distressed etc...that is NOT ethical cancer screening, but something far more sinister.

• Posted

Thanksfor this, will look at it when able. Anne
  • Posted

Hi!  This is my first post in an online health forum.  I don't usually contribute on them, but I feeel so strongly about this issue that I really have to vent a little! 

I always hate it when those dreadful letters and leaflets come through the post, complete with pretty pictures of flowers and butterflies, containing thinly disguised threats of likely horrors-to-be if I don't be a good girl and attend for my cervical smear.  I always feel like I'm being assualted through the post when I receive them.  Anyway, the last two times I got these letters, I signed a disclaimer at the GP surgery.  This time round, however, I finally and reluctantly decided to attend, as I'd been having problems with periods and thought it wise, even though I have never been sexually active, am not in at 'at risk' age group and my last smear (9 years ago) was clear. Having politely cancelled the first appointment made for me at the surgery by the surgery (without my agreement to a convenient time?!), a few weeks later, I then received another letter, this time with an unsolicited appointment to sign a disclaimer removing me from the recall register. This was when I decided I had better face up to the test after almost a decade of non attendance. The pracitce nurse was absoultely lovely, as I expressed my concerns and reservations and told her my history.  She explained that I was at LOW risk,but not NO risk, and said it was entirely up to me if I had the test.  So I agreed, thinking that as I was there and would probably never pluck up the courage again, I should go ahead.  Well, the experience was terrible for me - extremely painful and, after a few minutes, the nurse decided not to continue.  At all times she treated me with great dignity and respect, and almost seemed to be discouraging me from enduring the test, but at the end of the day, I had to sign another disclaimer..........which I am not happy about.  There would be no grounds for me to sue them anyway, as they presumably have a record of the sackfulls of letters they have sent to me over the years........I don't think I will ever go for this horrible test again.  It's not just the physical pain, but also the psychological and emotional anguish that the whole issue of smear tests has caused me over the years (and I am actually still alive and very healthy, in spite of the cervcal smear marketing ploys that have been put in place over the years that have made me feel that my lifespan will be reduced if I don't have this test.......).

I believe women should go for this test IF THEY WANT TO and if they personally feel it will be of benefit to them....But we should not be made to feel stupid / pathetic / cowardly / a disgrace to womankind etc. if we choose, for whatever reason, not to go..... 

Why can't women be given the option to agree / disagree to attend at the point they receive their coercion - sorry - invtation letter, as seems to be the case with the mammogem call and recall system - a much more pleasant and less threatening experience, I hasten to add.........

Thanks for listening!!!

• Posted

Hi Hattie

If you've never been sexually active, then you're MOST unlikely to benefit from pap testing. A hr HPV infection is a necessary first step in the eventual development of cc, HPV is a sexually transmitted infection. That was kept quiet for many years, they didn't want women to think this testing could only benefit promiscious women. 

Note of course, almost all HPV clears naturally in a year or two, it's only the rare cases that go onto invasive cc, it's always been a fairly rare cancer, lifetime risk is less than 1%.

This should have been made clear to you, so you could have made an  informed decision about screening. BUT women don't get balanced and complete information, this program relies on high numbers, so it's easier to just force women through the testing machine. No one seems to care how many they harm and worry in the process.

Of course, this is the very reason a rare cancer is usually an unacceptable subject for a population screening program, especially with an unreliable test that produces false positives and some false negatives. They knew at the outset this program COULD not work if they respected the legal rights of women and adopted appropriate ethical standards, to justify this vastly expensive program they had to convince or capture at least 80% of women every few years. They also, knew they'd distress and harms lots of women looking for these rare cases, did they care? I don't think so, in fact, some countries have pressured women into serious over-screening, which greatly increases the risk of a false positive and over-treatment, for no additional benefit to women. 

The Finns and Dutch only offer screening from age 30, and 7 pap tests in total, to mimimizes the negative impact to the vast number of women who could never benefit. (about 95% aged 30 to 60) The Dutch have also, been able to keep vested interests at bay and follow the evidence.

If you're concerned about this rare cancer, you could self-test for HPV, if you're HPV- and not sexually active, you might then choose to forget about all further testing. When you're informed, you're in a much better position to ignore the screening zealots and deal with pressure in the consult room. I've found people back off quickly when they're faced with a calm and informed woman who stands firm, the scare campaigns roll off your back.  

If you're having issues with your periods, a pap test is inappropriate, that's a screening test for asymptomatic women, you need a proper assessment.

You can order self-testing devices online, from the UK you could probably order the Delphi Screener from the Netherlands. 

I'm sorry this testing has caused you worry and discomfort, it has always concerned me the huge and negative impact this testing has had on so many lives, when it would have been easy to spare so many women, you just follow the evidence and respect informed consent. They can do it for men, but there is still an unhealthy and unacceptable attitude around that others know what's best for women, that our bodies are public property. I totally reject that perverse thinking. My body, my choice, my informed decisions.

• Posted

Hi Hattie, Sorry to hear yet another woman has to go through all this. I too had forms thrust at me to sign (disclaimer) which I twice refused to sign. The reason they want you to sign is so if anyting does happen to you and you get some kind of problem "down there" the doctors can say you refused the smear, therefore your fault. The nurse I had the misfortune of seeing is not sympathetic at all, she seemed to find my inability to have a smear amusing. She told me it was something us women just had to do, do we now. So I hope you didnt sign the form.
    • Posted

i ignore all mail regarding smear tests straight in the bin and will not waste my time signing anything my surgery asks me to they deserve contempt for the damage they do.
    • Posted

hi mrs d, it is too late for me to use a self testing kit because if i were to have positive results i would be unable to tolerate any intimate examinations which would folllow. i know people may think i am crazy to  risk cervical cancer, but when that  nurse  assaulted me not only will i never forget the physical torture she caused the mental trauma is still keeping me awake most nights, when i do finallly sleep i have nightmares about the incident.

• Posted

Hi Eliz! 

Thanks for your supportive, positive and very reassuring response to my post!

it has made me feel even more resolute about refusing smears in the future!

• Posted

Hi Mrs. D!

Unfortunately, I did sign the form, which was actually a very scruffy looking photocopied document......probably photocopied 10 years ago and having deteriorated in quality in the meantime.....I just wanted to get away from the place. Plus, I was worried about being struck off the doctor's register....ridiculous, I know!  I should have stood up for my rights, but I didn't have the courage to do so at the time......In the long run though, it does mean that Illl be spared the indignity of 'letterbox assault' for the next three years.  Small price to pay, I suppose!

• Posted

The Delphi self screener is available. It is a test for HPV.It is used in Holland, Singapore and I believe you can purchase it on line.It can be done by a woman in the privacy of her home and does not involve spreading her legs for a Doctor, hence the reason we are not told about it.Think of the loss of revenue when Drs don't get their incentive payments.!Women who are HPV negative can choose whether to continue screening or not.The test should probably only be done once a woman is over 30 as most HPV infections are transient in younger ladies.
    • Posted

I thought I'd thank you for this great post before it gets deleted by the moderator, but you are absolutely right. The Netherlands is supposed to be switching to HPV primary testing next January, but British women are still left with no end of this invasive test in sight. The truth about this test should be made clear to all women, and women themselves should be able to make an informed decision, about whether to continue screening.

The NHS is struggling enough as it is. Does it really have £175 million to spend on policing womens' bodies in this way, when 95% of women don't even need this test?

• Posted

I have recently written to the NHS screening authority and had a copy of my screening history sent to me and demanded that my information be removed from their screening register.I cited lack of informed consent. No one gave us any unbiased information when we were pushed to screen in the 1980s. I have a relative who had two cone biopsies and laser treatment, haemorrhaged, needed vaginal packing and 3 units of blood. All courtesy of the NHS screening programme.Women should make a stand against this.I live in NZ and they screen from the age of 20 in spite of all the international evidence!!Women are fed propaganda in all the screening literature ......as for Breast Screening, don't get me started!
    • Posted

And they say we should accept this treatment as a normal part of being a woman, that we should knuckle down and get used to it. It is an absolute scandal the treatment that has been carried out on women, in the name of protecting the vested interests of this programme.
    • Posted

I totally agree Hopefully more and more women are becoming informed.It saddens me when the odd young woman dies ,how it is used by the media to promote cervical screening. All the brainwashed then come out in force demanding that the screening age be lowered again.There was even a discussion in parliament about it after a girl called Sophie died. Thankfully evidence and common sense prevailed.I will never screen again and I will be getting self screening kits for my girls should they wish to. I am really angry and feel duped but I am grateful to have uncovered the truth about breast, cervical and PSA testing at last so that I can protect my family.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.