How is your far distance vision (for those who have monovision or multifocal IOLs)?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Do many of you with Symfony or monovision IOLs need glasses for distance sometimes ?

I’m thinking of getting a pair, not for nighttime driving , but for concerts, theatre, performances. I can make do , like before, but think it'd be nice to see crystal clear faces.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan

My distance, I had Lasik years ago and therefore my cataract sugery results did not give me the perfect clear distance vision I so hoped for. When you have Lasik, the cornea measurements are changed and even though the goal is to achieve great distance vision, its not always the case. I ended up with 20/40 in my right eye, which is my dominant eye. I wear a contact lens in that eye only for when I want crisp clear distance vision for say, a football game or a concert. This has been a fabulous option for me>

• Posted

I have at Symfony IOLs and don’t require glasses for distance.  I did make an appointment 3 months after my surgeries with my regular optometrist- just to check my vision to have a baseline of where I landed after everything healed and for yearly exams to know if everything is stable and to compare.  Both eyes achieved plano so no distance glasses needed.  I did have slight astigmatism.50 in left eye and .25 in right eye for which I got a pair of sunglasses (as my insurance company covered those).  

If you are 6 weeks after surgery I suggest you visit your optometrist to get a written prescription (maybe you already have and know you need glasses to help with distance)?

Anyways my suggestion would be to make an appointment just to know for sure what that prescription is.

• Posted

Hello - I have mono focal lens in both eyes and never wear glasses for distance.  They are set about 1/2 diopter apart (for mini mono vision) and so I also rarely ever need glasses at any distance at all (even up close).  I would never choose full mono vision but the mini mono vision has worked out great.  I have no problems with the mono focal lens at night - no halos, no arti facts, just great clear vision.
  • Posted

That totally depends upon on how close to PLANO with little residual astigmatism the eye ends up with after surgery.  In my case with a toric monofocal IOL, I got very close to Plano for power in my right eye but about 1D of residual astigmatism that reduces my distance vision to about 20/25-20/30.

If I use glasses to correct the 1D astigmatism I can get 20/20 distance vision in the right eye.  I need glasses for my left eye with natural lens anyway since it has 2D astigmatism.

• Posted

Susan:

Your title mentions multifocal IOL's but your text then notes only Symfony which is an EDOF lens. I'll give you me answer with a Restor 2.5D which is a true multifocal (two focus points). I have this in one eye only (no surgery yet for the second eye). This is a low-add multifocal, so the near focus point best vision is in the 22" range (versus much closer with some of the other multifocal designs). 

Distance vision (for me) with this lens (set for plano) is fantastic. I'm always testing 20/15 minimum. I honestly can't imagine it being any better. One of the negatives with this lens design is a dip in the middle range (6 to 10 ft) before the near focal point kicks in. I drop to maybe 20/40 in this range although I've been wearing a +0.5D contact as a test for a few weeks and the contact has dramatically improved the vision in that range but the negative is that it's pushed my close point in a but closer than Id like for my computer use. 

Many people who have this lens do not notice as much of a dip as I do in the 6-10 ft range. Some people just naturally have a wider depth of field than others (I'm just not lucky),

• Posted

I have a mono focal lens in my left eye and I have natural near vision in my right eye.  My distance vision solely based on the strength of my monofocal left eye (and thus monovision) is very good.  I'm very happy relative to where I was pre-surgery. 

IG

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.