How is your hypertension treated?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello. I am a 44 year old female who has had chronic high blood pressure since I was in college. Seems to just be bad genes, as I've been through every test imaginable and the doctors have never discovered a 'reason' for it (no kidney issues, etc). For as long as I can remember, my blood pressure was controlled quite well on Coreg CR, 40 mg. In the last year or so (I think in relationship to perimenopause) it has steadily increased and I am working closely with my doctor to tweak my treatment and find a medication/combination that works well. I am currently taking hydrochlorothiazide (12.5 mg), Lisinopril (5 mg) and Coreg (40 mg). The doctor had me try cutting out the Coreg to see what would happen, and although my BP didn't get too high, my pulse became quite fast, even at rest. So, the doctor is now having me try 20 mg Coreg along with the other 2 meds. I guess my question is (and I'll discuss this with my doctor, too) is - how can I get this back down to just 1 or 2 meds? Having to take 3 pills every morning seems, to me, to be quite a lot. Is 3 meds a 'standard' treatment for HBP? I know combinations are often beneficial over a single med, but, I guess, just ugh. 3 meds. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It seems from what little research I have done, that a lot of people use multiple BP medications in conjunction with each other. My main advice would be if you start to notice a dry cough it very well may be the Lisinopril. I currently only take one BP med, but my BP has started creeping back into the 140/90 range and am seriously starting to think I need a second med, as bad as I hate to say that. Sorry not much insight from me, hope things get better for you.

• Posted

try a low salt paleo diet. it will help u reduce blood pressure. It's hard to stick to but if u do it u will definitely see a drop in blood pressure.

• Posted

I Can only talk from my experience. I have been through all sort if medications, now one medication. I STARTED off with high doses i.e 12mg lisinopril etc.

I am now in 1mg Candesartan, the secret is:

1. I stopped salt completely from my diet.
    2. I exercise everyday - running and gym
    3. I identified where my stress was coming from - my marriage. I now live alone and have been experiencing low blood pressure. Its 5 months now and the dr is considering stopping 1mg.
    4. I don't kill myself with work.

SINCE DIAGNOSED, i have lost 12kg in weight.

strive to relax!

• Posted

hi..welcome to tha HBP club..I was similar to you for many years...hit and miss with my BP meds..here's what I found out works for me..

1/2 Diovan (160 mg. cut in half)

1/2 Atenolol 25 mg pill cut in half

1/4 clonodine (1 mg pill cut in quarters)

1/2 lorazapam 1 mg pill cut in half

this concoction keeps my BP out of the stroke range and in the 140/90 range..a far cry than the scary ranges before ...you may need to tweak your meds to find what works for you

.good luck

• Posted

Chronic high BP whilst on meds suggests a degree of resistant hypertension. How has your BP been investigated? What lab tests did they do? How's your sodium and potassium levels?

• Posted

In the hospital they prescibed me 40 mg furosemide and 5 mg amlodipine. My systolic blood pressure was between 130 and 140 Hgmm. I felt great. But my GP took me off the furosemide; he said it dries up my kidney. Instead he prescribed 10 mg amlodipine. Now my systolic blood pressure is 140 Hgmm and I do not feel so great any more. I do not now if I would have had the right to resist the change.

• Posted

In the hospital I was prescribed 40 mg furosemide and 5 mg amlodipine. I felt great and my systolic blood pressure was between 130 Hgmm and 140 Hgmm. But my GP took me off the furosemide; he said it dries up my kidney; instead he prescribed 10 mg amlodipine. Now my systolic blood pressure is 140 and I do not feel so great any more. Could I have resisted the change?

• Posted

Hi tebrown96,

It is a very big fact of today. I think you shall be must obliged the doctor prescribed and continued the medicine and all time be free and smiling and tension free. I want to continued the discussion about this.

Thanks a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.