How large is a prostate with 3.0 PSA ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Last check, my PSA was 3.0. I am just curious, how large can my prostate be. I know the PSA does not correlate well with its size but perhaps statistically it should be within a reasonable limit. I would appreciate any data on your PSA vs size.

I have mild urinary retention from BPH, currently self catherize (CIC) 3-4 times a day. Not having enough problems to ask uro to check for size. Also scared and not wanting to see uro because all uro wanted to do was TURP.

Hank

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hank,

I assume that you are 63. Given that age a PSA of 3.0 is normal, especially if your have an enlarge prostate.. What is significant for a cancerous tumor is the ratio of free to bound PSA

I am 61. My PSA IS 3.33. FREE PSA IS 34%. Probability of cancer less than 8%. My prostate is estimated as 64ml by a TRUS.

The best way to know the size of your prostate is with a TRUS or trans rectal ultra sound or an MRI. Neither is painful or even uncomfortable.

Prostate size does not even correlate to LUTS or lower urinary tract symptoms. That is defined by the shape of your prostate and the flexibiliry or stretchability of the surrounding muscle tissue.

I had the iTind procedure as part of the USQA clinical trial. It is the least traumatic procedure and could be done on an outpatient basis. It is a temporary stent that stays in for 5-7 days and is then removed. It opens up the urethra by ischemic action. Google iTind and Medi-tate to learn more.

It was not painful, just uncomfortable, and it worked wonders for me. No negative side effects. No incontinence. No sexual dysfunction.

Where do you live?

• Posted

Hi Bobby,

I followed your posts on iTind with great interest but can not participate because I don't like the placebo and I live in San Diego, too far from the trial site.

I had a kidney + prostate ultrasound but no one told me the size. Also, uro suggested TURP so it can not be that large, can't it ?

Hank

• Posted

Hi Bobby,

An update to your iTind procedure, please. Hank

• Posted

Sure. Been 8 months and doing great. Up only once at night, no urgency, all systems go. I am very happy with results. Of course I am assuming I received the device because this much difference can't be in my head.

• Posted

Thanks Bobby, even I am sure you got the iTind stent. smile Do you ever feel anything inside you at all ? How did the trial go ? When will it be approved ? I think if you can post an update of your successful results, it 'd be giving hope for other BPH sufferers out there. Hank

• Posted

I do not feel any different inside either at rest or during normal bodily functions. I have no idea when FDA will approve. I was told that once approved Medit-tate will be in touch. I have at least one more followup visit in November to assess flow and post void retention and fill out a survey of preceived satisfaction.
    • Posted

I am sure many people will be interrested once approved, especially with positive testimonies from pioneers like yourself. Once again, thanks. Hank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.