How likely is an epidural going to reduce my sciatica?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

So I have been suffering from severe sciatic pain for well over a year now. My GP was extremely dismissive towards the idea of me having a disc problem as I am so young (I have just turned 18), so I went to an osteopath who then wrote an official letter requesting that I should have an MRI. They found that I had a prolapsed disc (which was revealed on my 18th birthday) after nine months of being told it was "muscle tightness". Since then I have had physio, but i was struggling to do the exercises due to the immense pain. I have also become addicted to codeine, and the effects of its have stopped altogether.

I am having a consultation for an epidural on Wednesday as the pain is becoming too much to bare. I have had to be pulled out of my a level exams as I cannot sit an concentrate for any period of time.

What I really wanted to know is if there is anyone who has had an epidural before and any information surrounding your experiences. And how painful is it?

I am pinning all hopes on these injections working, as at 18 years old, surgery is the most daunting option, and would really mess up my chances of getting to university in years to come.

Thank you for reading x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had two. I did not find them painful at all.  They didn't help my sciatica - it may be something else, but they have helped a lot of people!   Some permanently!  Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi

I've had the epidural block done twice but think it depends on the reason they are doing it as I'm now booked in for surgery for a facet fusion, I also had nerve deviation done on my left side twice, the epidural does help but most of this isn't long term pain relief it depends on the person some say it does some say it doesn't help, but considering your age you are very young so getting this done now may help you and maybe some light exercise after would help.

Try not to give up on your studies as it will give you a goal to focus on and something to look forward to.

All the best x

• Posted

Hi

I have had 2 epidurals for pain relief on lower back pain & sciatica. The first one I was awake from a pain management doctor, it helped with the leg pain. The 2nd was with an Orthopedic surgeon and I was put out so it could be more precise & it's the only thing on 18 months that has touched the pain. I'm still in pain but no where near to the extent I was. I had the epidural back in January & I'm still benefitting from it. It has enabled me to to some Physio which was never possible before.

Look into it. It has to be worth a try.

Good luck.

• Posted

You can never tell if the epidural injection's will work for you, as everyone is different! I was told this when I was offered the injections but I chose surgery as I didn't want to try the injections and then they didn't work, which would mean wasting time! And I was in soooo much pain! I am so glad I have had the operation now, and I was only off of work for 4 weeks, and I am pain free now! Why would it mess up your chances of uni?? x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.