How long after an indulgence does Uric Acid remain raised...?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I dont know whether I actually have Gout or some similar condition and am looking for a little guidance in relation to how soon/long Uric Acid remains raised after drinking beer.

I do suffer from weakened kidneys which, along with my fairly appalling diet which includes beer/steak, has resulted in my being diagnosed with high uric acid. The most recent test I had was 9.5.

Symptom-wise, I have stiff joints (first it was just ankles, then ankles AND knees and more recently hips too) which seem wors on days after I have had a few beers. The kidney complication isnt helping but I have changed my diet significantly and have removed almost all red meat and only have 2-3 beers once a week now.

So, reading comments in here I am guessing I do not actually have Gout YET but I do have what could possibly be considered the beginning of it, I don't know.

I bought a Uric Acid tester and was somewhat surprised to get three readings of 14.6, 14.8 and 15.2. I only realized afterwards that doing an afternoon test likely isn't wise and I should do so in the morning prior to eating/drinking.

So to my question...it is Boxing Day and I have been bad (drinking beer) for the last TWO days. How soon after an indulgence will it cause a spike in Uric Acid and more to the point how long do I need to wait before a test will settle down and NOT include those two bad days....a week, two weeks?

Many thanks for any input. Reading the horror stories on here in terms of gout attacks I want to do what I can to prevent experiencing even one.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It's hard to tell exactly how long before a gout attack. When your body cant get rid of the acid through your kidneys, crystals start to form in your joints, and they do hurt! You can even damage your kidneys. Normal alkaline readings are around 6 so if you are up around 14 or 15 be real careful. Learn the gout diet. And when the pain is high enough you will want to be on the diet. The last time I had an attack it took approx 4 weeks to bring my uric count down. But only 2 days off to get the attack. It's like going on a binge eating and you gain weight butg it takes 4 weeks to loose a pound or 2. Google the foods and diet to learn more. Exercise helps usually men over 50 and overweight get gout. I drink tart cherry juice just 5 oz. /  day.  Alkaline water you can make yourself helps. Just cut a lemon into 1/8's don't squeeze it just let it set for a day in 2 qts of water over night. Then drink a glass a day. And drink lots of water not soda.
  • Posted

Think of a Cactus that survives quite happily without a drink for months at a time. Give it some water and its absorbed straight into the soil, give it more the next day and the day after and the cactus is full, the soil saturated. One more drink will likely kill it.

Unfortunately with gout we don't get the same 'visual' information but trust me when you get your first attack you'll err on the side if caution.

Knock the beer/alcohol on the head completely for a while and your more likely to be able to indulge on an ongoing basis.

• Posted

I should say I'm assuming that your already knocking other stuff like liver out of your duet?
  • Posted

Thanks all. I have reduced my beer intake by 90% and am actively avoiding red meat and offal.

Lots of fruit, veg, low purine foods and water.

The Uric Acid tester is helpful and I will monitor it every two weeks and try to reduce without meds if I can.

The weakened kidneys are the likely culprit behind the underlying issue so diet alone may not do it....time will tell.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.