How long after an operation should you be off Morphine tablets?

Posted , 6 users are following.

My Wife had major surgery in January and she is still taking Morphine tablets 6 month on do i need to be worried?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Depends what surgery she had and whether she has long term pain issues. After 6 months she will definitely be physically dependent on them.

• Posted

she had a burst stomach ulcer from previous codeine habit which she kicked but the damage was already done, now im worried shes hooked on these Morphine tablets and i dont want to push her off them if shes still having the pain.

• Posted

Hello Dale22, 1st of all each person heals at their own rate but, her incisions & repair SHOULD be healed by now (unless they did extensive repair internally & depending how bad the perforation was, also if she has another underlying medical condition, like diabetes, high blood pressure & etc or takes certain medications)a person can have surgical adhesions, slow healing & etc.. which can still cause pain but, the Dr. can/should (after this amount of time) look into a CAUSE for her continued pain!! If she had issues with codeine, morphine(depending on dosage is used for more moderate/severe pain) after this amount of time, she should have been able to taper & start cutting back by now...if she isn't taking them for moderate pain after several months, you may be looking at an addiction, either way after 6mos. she is likely to have w/d from them(pls note: if she IS still in pain a Dr. needs to find out WHY, it would be unfair to assume she isn't still in pain & Dr can run tests, do follow-up post surgically)...a concern w/b that she had ulcer that required surgery, pain meds(prescription & OTC) are irritating to the stomach, can cause prolonged healing or a NEW ulcer to start...at the very least she needs to take them with food to prevent another issue, maybe a PPI(proton pump inhibitor) would help, it pushes food & etc out of stomach into the intestines, to prevent stomach acid & meds from irritating the stomach. Do not start/stop/change ANY medicines w/o first talking to the Dr....This may be a tricky conversation, just go to her appt. & ask the Dr. "why is my wife still in pain"....its something SHE should want to know the answer to as well!! Best Wishes to you & your wife, I hope she can get back to good health w/o pain!! Take Care☮💕🍀

• Posted

hi dale, i also had major surgery for a ruptured stomach ulcer and im still on morphine now (my surgery was in december). i had big complications with mine so was in hospital for a month, and still get a lot of pain. i now have a hernia which im waiting to find out if i need further surgery for. your wife still being on morphine doesnt neccessarily mean she is abusing it but she does need to find out why shes still getting this pain. does she have any appointments coming up with her consultant? as someone else mentioned, she will certainly be dependant on the morphine by now (as will i be) but please dont be in a rush to get her off it if she does have genuine pain. i am also a recovering addict and thats what caused my ulcer and my fiance hates me being on morphine, but he doesnt realise just how much pain i am still in. i am not willing to go through WD till my stomach problems are sorted. i hope this helps, feel free to contact me if you have any more questions. i know EXACTLY what she is going through

• Posted

Thankyou for the advice, i will just wait and see what unfolds as i try not to ask to much as i know it frustrates her.

We have been through the withdrawels before and i know whats to come, i will be there for her as always i just want this all to end and have my wife back to her lively self.

• Posted

are you completley off the opioids now ? im worried shes still abusing?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.