how long after doseage change for body to be functioning on new reduced dose?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Does anyone know how long it takes for our bodies to be adjusted to a reduced dose of bisoprolol after adjusting the dose down the way?.

I went from 7.5mg on Saturday to 2.4mg on sunday, it is now Wednesday so that is 4 complete days.

the half life of bisoprolol is 12 hours so that means if I stopped completely it would take 60 hours or 2 and a half days for all of the drug to be out of my body.

should I use that as a guide or is it a different thing?.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

sorry meant 2.5mg on sunday not 2.4 mg   :¬wink

• Posted

This probably won't help at all. I went to see my GP as my resting heart rate was around 40, he reduced my dose from 5.0mg to 2.5mg on the 4th May. By the 18th May I was back again as my heart rate remained unaltered and he reduced the dose again to 1.25mg - I'm still getting readings in the lower 40's.

• Posted

PeterJem, there is some kind of "a base" in these drugs.

So, for example, 1,25Mg will lower your heart rate from 70 to 55.

2,50 will lower your heart rate from 70 to 50.

5,00 will lower your heart rate from let's say 70 to 45.

10,00 will lower your heart rate from 70 to 40.

So, you see, a 1,25 Mg dose will lower it for -15 beats.

While twice as large dose, 2,50 Mg dose will lower it only for -20 beats.

So, a drug isn't working in a mathematical way, where you can just double the drop in a heart rate and similar.

So, the "base dose" of 1,25 is the strongest.

After that, bigger doses are just a slightly bonus.

A lot of people experienced your problem.

• Posted

I would go much slower if I were you. I went from 1.25 to half that amount with a pill cutter. After about 5days I felt really nervous and not at all well. Maybe that's just me though. Good luck 

• Posted

It might be out of your system, but that does not mean you will not go through withdrawals.    I went through them big time....Just nasty
  • Posted

Think you need to go slower with the weaning off. Otherwise you might get withdrawal symptoms and if you did (not everyone does)they can make you feel quite ill. Am going through this at the moment and still feeling weird. Take care and good luck.
  • Posted

I usually feel a difference after 3 days but That's a big drop but it's also if your not really feeling much. what helped me out with the feeling of any side effects was the herb ashwaghanda, it's an adaptogen and helps yours body adapt to stress, the herb helped me out so much I really dont think I would be able to wean of bisoprolol if it was for that. I only have a couple weeks left to wean and I'll be completely off this drug after 14 years. Also a milligram scale works wonders for weaning, dont do it by eye, if you dont get the correct amount for every time your going to feel some type of symptoms from withdrawl after a couple days

• Posted

I came of 2.5mg Bisoprolol with a slow heart rate.  It took me 3 months to come off for the next year my heart was in the 100s most of the time.  It was exhausting even my speech was speeded up and my BP went sky high.   However I am now on new meds for AbP and heart rate is mainly in the 50s to 60scagain but it has been a rollercoaster 20 months
  • Posted

From y experience, sometimes you will feel a change after 3-4 days, and sometimes it takes 2-3 weeks.

Also, not all symptoms will be the same.

For example, if you have let's say dizziness, problems with breathing and you are tired on a 5,00 Mg dose.

And if you drop to 2,50.

Breathing could improve after 2 days.

Dizziness could improve after 5 days.

You will feel less tired after 2 weeks.

If you get my point?

Some symptoms can be improved right away, some might take longer.

It is different in each person.

Regarding Bisoprolol, when I have quit it, it took me 3 weeks until a withdrawal kicked in.

So, I dropped to 0 Mgs.

And nothing happened for 3 weeks, I felt the same as on drugs.

And then after 3 weeks, my heart rate jumped, I started to have anxiety after 5 weeks etc.

So, imo, Bisoprolol takes longer than just 2-3 days to get out of a system.

Your body accumulated a lot of it during months or years.

• Posted

Thank you for all you're replies, you're time and you're help guys.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.