How long after eating do symptoms begin?

Posted , 8 users are following.

How long does it tend to take for symptoms to start (bloating, gas, urgency) after eating (the wrong) food?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Depending on how intolerant you are, I have had severe reactions from 10 minutes or even the next morning. I can sometimes tell I am in trouble after a few swallows!

• Posted

Mine is usually 20 minutes or 1 hour pretty much on the dot then depending how bad it is can go on for days

• Posted

Hi iandavis, you need to remember that IBS can be upset by other things like stress, mine has gone mad the last few days but through stress. It's not very funny is it? IBS can alter over time and can sometimes be clear cut and sometimes (well more often than not) very confusing. You can't quite tell when you'd have symptoms, you have to work out either what triggers them, if you can or how to stop the triggers.

• Posted

This is very individual. Digestion is underway in about 20 mins, so could be anywhere from 20 min to 24hrs really.

• Posted

This differs with me.

Can be 5 minutes after but sometimes it is a few hours after or even the next day. Very variable.

Sarah

• Posted

For me, sometimes it's almost immediate, before I've even finished my portion of whatever the offending food is. Bloating usually happens very quickly for me. The gas will usually take an hour or more to start up. Around 2 hours after a meal I generally feel the urgent need to use the bathroom.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.