How long after gallstone diagnosis did people get surgery?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Have been referred to a surgeon as outpatient but not too sure what happens at this appt? I know I've got gallstones and GP asked if I'd consider getting gallbladder removed - at this point I'd quite happily!

How long was it between referral and treatment?

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

According to the NHS website its 18 weeks from referral to treatment.
  • Posted

I had mine removed as emergency surgery however when I was referred to a gynaecologist for endometriosis they scheduled an outpatient app with the surgeon who basically explained the best course of treatment which was surgery and gave me some other options, however if you have gallstones they will suggest surgery. The doctor then did a physical exam and did my consent form for surgery, explained the risks etc and booked it in. I then had my surgery about two months later. I know it's not exactly what you asked but hopefully gives you an idea of what to expect smile

• Posted

I had a gall bladder attack, knowing already that I had gall stones.  I went to doctor and had the surgery to remove gall bladder within 3 weeks.  I have been out of surgery for about 3 weeks now and all is good.  I can eat anything, but I have given up fast food and fried foods.  Don't wait since you can get a severe blockage and it can affect your liver.

• Posted

Next time I have an attack I'll go to a&e instead of toughing it out at home. Hopefully get seen quicker that way!

Just missing cheese and chocolate. Not too fussed about any fried foods

• Posted

I just went to bed and gritted my teeth during attacks. Some of mine went on for three or four days and then I'd have to give up and seek help. I developed jaundice. The thing is, the doctors aren't psychic and have no idea whether you're coping unless you present yourself to them with the symptoms. I was silly: I didn't want to be a nuisance. In retrospect I should have attended A&E every time.

• Posted

Hi Scottie

I was diagnosed mid September 2016 and had surgery February 4th 2017. It was a week outside of the 18 week referral to treatment, so 19 weeks, but some wait much longer. There are huge waiting lists - my GP actually laughed and wished me 'good luck' when I told him I was waiting for elective cholecystectomy!

In my case, I developed jaundice a week after I was diagnosed and had ERCP to insert a stent. Seven weeks later I had a further ERCP to replace stent. Neither ERCP managed to remove large stones. As there is a 'shelf life' for stents, they'd have to have kept on replacing them, so I suppose, in the long term it was cheaper and easier to do the surgery.

I was so desperate to have surgery, I signed up to accept any HB surgeon to perform my surgery and said I was available at very short notice. In the end they rang me asking me to attend next day for pre-op, and I had surgery ten days later.

As well as the 18 week referral to treatment, your GP can refer you to a hospital that has a shorter list, even a private hospital, on the NHS. You are also entitled to chose your surgeon. None of this was ever mentioned to me at the time.

• Posted

I literally have appt to see surgeon 12 weeks to the day they received the referral! Which means they only have 6 weeks to give me surgery going by the 18 week referral to treatment. I've phoned appointment office and said I'll take any cancellation they have to see surgeon before then! Don't think they offer other hospitals in Scotland 👎🏼

My friend is waiting on ercp under general anaesthetic as couldn't tolerate it under sedation. Did you find that painful?

• Posted

If they miss the deadline, they get fined, which doesn't really help the patient. Does no harm to let them know you know about it. You might try the Patient And Liaison Service (PALS) if they go past the 18 week limit and complain.

I didn't find ERCP painful, but it was very invasive and unpleasant as you can actially feel the instruments being pushed through you. Sometimes it gets stuck and they have to reverse a bit then push forward. Very uncomfortable. I kept gagging when the surgeon pushed on the instruments. Patient just before me was a big man, and he came out in tears!

• Posted

After my referral i asked how long the wait would be and I was told I would be on a waiting list which would be six to nine months, at least.

I keep ringing up, and have now been given my pre op assessment on 14 July, and then they are putting me on a cancellation list.

Good luck.

• Posted

How long have you been waiting so far? Hope appt goes well on 14th!
    • Posted

Since my appointment with the consultant (after ultrasound and GP appointment) it has been about three and a half months.
  • Posted

Hi, I was refered in October, saw the surgeon in May and have surgery end of July.
    • Posted

Wow that is a very long wait!! Hope you've not been in too much pain while waiting!

• Posted

my issues are chronic instead of painful, weight loss, reflux, bloating, gas, stomach ache after eatin, rib aching, nausea. Only had sharp pain once and although had to cut a lot of foods so lost 15kg can still eat dark chocolate, so all good so far smile
    • Posted

That's a lot of weight to lose!! I've not long started cutting out foods but really hoping not to lose much weight as would end up looking way too skinny as I'm slim as it is haha

• Posted

yeah I was a 10-12 before now I am a 6-8 and almost underweight. I wasnt big before all this!
    • Posted

I'm an 8 just now but if I lost a stone I'd be classed as underweight. Don't fancy going there lol. You had to buy loads of new clothes? bet you can't wait to get it out now!

• Posted

yes, had to buy heaps lol and lots of belts! my size 10s can go up and down without undoing and many just fall of me, which had gotten a little snug the year prior! I can fit in a 8 dress, so with my broad back/chest area, thats pretty good and a 6-8 bottom. My husband is complaining I look too skinny and I cannot sit in the bath in certain angles and the bone hits the bath and makes it sore, now my butt has no padding.

Even my teen kids are telling me I look skinny.

• Posted

That's no fun. Although I'm sure you'll enjoy putting some of the weight back on once you can eat what you want.

It's annoying when someone says that because you're like I can't help it if there's so many things I can't eat!

Think I'll drink loads of high calorie juices and fruity sweets to stave off losing too much haha

• Posted

I seem to be struggling to gain, I have bought activated nuts and eating those daily ( weird as they were the first food item to cause stomach pain and IBS symptoms which led to all this being diagnosed and the first food I had to give up) maybe activated makes the difference? as well as heaps of dark chocolate lately and not gained a llb! If I stop the chocolate it continues too drop.

I do take digestive enzymes and ox bile though which has been the most help digestion wise.

• Posted

Never heard of activated nuts? I really dislike nuts though so not something I could even force myself to eat lol.

Where do you get the digestive enzymes and the Oz bile from? How do they help?

Def stick to eating chocolate then!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.