How long after THR for a safe drink ish 🍷 🍷

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hiya you fine hippies 😁

Few days left till my D Day, just wanted to ask a very simple question. On a average how long till ya can have a drink of wine 🍷🙄

I know we're all different, but thought id ask to get a average time...

Friday D-Day for me, think some of the family are hoping for a celebratory get together 👍

Thanks in advance for any input and advise . .

Stay Safe & Stay Happy...😆

Pete.😁

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you're taking opioids for pain, e.g. Oxycodone, no drinking at all. If you're just on Tylenol, then it depends on how much. If you're taking 2,000 mg per day, then your liver is already busy enough; don't overtax it with alcohol. If you're just taking a single 500mg dose of Tylenol per day, then a glass of wine is probably fine, as long as it doesn't react with any other medicines you're taking.

Keep in mind that I'm not a doctor, and anything I write may be totally wrong for you medically.

• Posted

I think I had a drink of wine as soon as I got home! I was given tramadol but did not actually take any. I did take some paracetamol/Tylenol though. I did check the anti coagulant tablets and they said it was OK to drink.Ā 
  • Posted

If youā€™re in a lot of pain and on pain medicine, I would definitely ask my doctors opinion on that one! I had One glass of wine after the second day....
  • Posted

I was joking with my mum before op about her bringing me some in to hospital. I love my wine. However I couldnā€™t face Ā any at all for just over a week. Just didnā€™t fancy any. I could only face one cup of tea and that was the morning and rest of time black currant cordial. It was in July mind you. Ā I was quite sick for first few days on tramadol and so they reduced dose to twice a day. I called it the evil tablet. Just a bit of discomfort for a few days but itā€™s wirth it all. Good luck x
  • Posted

I didnā€™t feel like drinking wine for weeks afterwards. The Tramadol was so strong I was asleep most of the time the first week or so. If you check the leaflets that come with your medicines it will tell you if itā€™s safe to have alcohol. Be careful how much you drink too you donā€™t want to risk a fall.Ā 

AnnĀ 

• Posted

Hi,Ā  Ā interested to hear you slept when on Tramadol - they actually do very little to me. Out of interest may I ask what dose you were on daily and what strength please. I am thinking of asking the Doctor for something stronger, as I am in dreadful pain from morning to night. Cannot walk far - cannot stand at cooker etc etc have no quality of life at the moment ! no idea when operation will be due !!

Hope you are now enjoying your wine smileĀ Ā 

• Posted

Hi Helen, the first week I was on 2 Tramadol (500mg I think they were, standard dose anyway) plus 2 paracetamol every six hours. I was hardly awake, just dozed on the sofa all day. Had some interesting dreams while on them. In one I was having a cream tea with my late husband and Hilary Clinton! After that I was on CoCodamol 30/500 for a few more days then just panadol. The cocodamol made me sleep too. I was on Naproxen pre op for a few months and it didn't take all the pain away but took the edge off enough for me to exercise to get fit for the op. Perhaps ask for a referal to a pain clinic if you are in a lot of pain and the standard stuff isnā€™t  helping.

Good luck

Ann

• Posted

Hello Ann

Thank you for your answer re the Tramadol. Yes I guess we are all different with how we manage to cope with pain.Ā  I have a friend who is now on pain patches and they have changed her life completely.Ā  She can now walk more or less properly without walking around furniture etc and can stand and cook in the kitchen with no pain whatsoever ! both these I really struggle with.

Good idea re pain clinic, as I really cannot cope with trying to live like this for much longer.

Thank you for your comments.

Take care.

Regards

Helen

• Posted

First of all, I wish you well with your operation and a recovery like mine which has been very smooth and much quicker than I expected. I ditched my sticks at 2 weeks, took longer walks at 3 weeks unaided and started driving at 6 weeks. I'm now 8 weeks and back in the gym for just short sessions on cross trainer, treadmill and exercise bike. I still get too tired to handle a long session but it's getting easier. As for that glass of wine. I always have a glass of red with my evening meal but gave it up a month before my operation along with chocolate and cashew nuts - my two weaknesses. I thought I would probably put on a little weight after the op when I was less mobile than usual. I actually lost 4 kilos after the op which worried me at first but my surgeon explained that the body takes a lot of calories in the healing process and you'll get what's left. I only weighed 56 kilos to start with so didn't want to lose anymore. I still haven't awarded myself my evening glass or wine yet. I'm sure it's perfectly OK by now but I'll give it a bit longer until I feel the muscles have regained a bit more strength.

• Posted

I did not have a drink for 6 weeks after op as I was given a anticoagulant for 28 days and wanted it out if the system. Alcohol thins the blood as well, I went 2 weeks prior to op, then 6 weeks after therefore was gagging for a drink. 😂🍺🍻

• Posted

I drink red wine practically every day. But 2 weeks before the surgery I was in such agony and was on Tramadol that did nothing and percacet which also did not help.  I did not drink. After the surgery I was on Celebrex for 10 days.  I never took pain killers.  I waited almost 3 weeks before I had a glass of wine.  My surgery was 4 months ago.  But if you are on strong medication after I would wait to have a drink. I wasn't but still waited a few weeks.

• Posted

Yes and I only wanted to try some because mum bought fillet steak as a treat for tea and couldnā€™t think of not having a glass of red with it. Had a very small glass and I didnā€™t taste as good as I wanted it to!Ā 
  • Posted

Good luck on your forthcoming op! I like a beer or two but after the op I had no desire for a drink. Not sure if it was the discomfort, the tablets or just the bodys healing process. About a month or so before my thirst for a beer returned but glad to say im totally recovered now.........oh, and so's the hip!! Good luck!!

• Posted

Hi all 😁

Many thanks for all your input, 👍

I'm getting things ready now at home, only few days now, 🙄😊

Got about 100hrs of movie's and box sets ony tablet, think that'll do me 😀

Thanks for all the good wishes, I'll catch up with ya all on the other side.

Hippie side that is 😀

Stay safe & Stay Happy Happy Happy

Been waiting long time to get my life back, it starts this weekend. 👍

Pete . . . . .

• Posted

Wishing you all the best on Friday, and hope you have a really good recovery. Mine was great. (Re your original question, didnā€™t drink loads after my op, just a bit now and then. I remember going out for lunch on day 7, pretty sure I had a little drink.)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.