How long before being able to run/quicker recovery?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello!

I am thinking about having my bunion surgery on July 23rd and was wondering if it was actually possible to be back to normal within 4 or 5 weeks. I'm going to a music festival on August 22-23 and of course at these kinds of things your feet never get rest and they may even get stepped on. So I was just wondering if there were any people who have had a quick recovery and what can I do to make mine quicker?

My surgeon said I would be able to walk again without crutches the very next day and my father says I should be able to run and workout normally within 4 weeks but I just can't believe that. After reading so much on other people's experiences and having my own bunionectomy 4 years ago (Which actually took me around a year before I could run or do anything without extreme pain) I don't see any possible way that I would be able to have the surgery and go to the festival. Any thoughts?

Any type of response is greatly appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read this! Please share your experience here as well if you are comfortable with posting it :-)

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I agree with everyones comments so far DON'T DO IT, I was by no means ready to stand for hours after 4 weeks. Be kind to yourself and remember how long it took you to recover last time, hopefully it won't be as long.
  • Posted

Picking up on what Barbara said, if you are in England don't hire or buy a wheelchair, you can borrow them from The Red Cross and make a donation when you take it back. I have one with a leg support and it has been a great help in getting out and about. I still don't think I would brave the festival though.
    • Posted

When I enquired at Red Cross they only had iron frame wheelchairs which are much heavier than the alluminium self propelling chair that I have.  My husband wouldn't have been able to get it in and out of car.  I've never been to a music festival so wouldn't know the conditions, but think they're held in a field?
    • Posted

We must be lucy in this area, as I have an alliuminium one.
  • Posted

In a word,NO. Everyone heals at different rates, but normalty takes more than 4 weeks to return to. It's frustrating waiting for the swelling to subside, and not being able to do normal activities for a while, but  It's worth it in the end! look up some previous discussions on this forum, there are many many stories about rates of recovery and limitations following surgery.
    • Posted

Yeah, I read many posts before I made my own, and it seems almost everyone needs at least 6 weeks before trying to do many things. It looks as if everyone has had pretty much a similar experience all around, so I'm just going to trust myself (and everyone else) on this and postpone it. Thank you!
  • Posted

Nge

forget about a wheelchair at a festival - try having that pushed around in the mud.

Get the op done immediately afterwards, you'll be so tired out from the event that the 2 weeks foot above waist time  would be absolute bliss and you can get totally wasted before hand.

other than that, you'll be a complete idiot!

Caroline

• Posted

I foubt that you will.feel that well to be on your feet for that meant hours only 4 weeks post op
  • Posted

Thank you to all the comments and replies! Since everyone seems to be saying the same thing, I'm definitly not going to get the surgery done in July, but is it more reasonable to get it 4 weeks before I go back to school? Or just postpone it until next summer?
    • Posted

Everyone heals at differnt paces im 3 weeks post op on my right foot and 1 week post op on my left foot have almost no swelling in my right foot an am back into a gym shoe on that foot but my left foot is very dwellon and this is the 2nf surgery on that foot an im not shure i will be nk in a shoe anytime s [n im jist hoping I wi) be healed well enough to return to work in mid augest 4 weeks and bk to school could work talk to your surgern and do what you think is best no one knows you better then yourself
    • Posted

Thank you! What kind of surgery did you have on your right foot? It's pretty incredible that you're already out of your boot after only three weeks, congrats :^) Good luck with healing your left foot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.