How long before broken foot in cast doesn't have to be elevated above the heart 24/7?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I also have more pain at night for some reason. I wake up when I move so I don't think it's cuz I twisted it. I'm just wondering when the swelling will subside some so I can sit up longer and do something. I've only had the cast on for 5 days. Two broken bones in my right foot. Also wondering about when I can even drive gently. Thank you.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately I also had more pain at night. My big black boot was extremely difficult to sleep with and I kept needing to change positions which meant waking up and being all twisted up in sheets and blankets. My therapists recommended sleeping in a recliner. I didn’t like that so I just lived without good sleep for a few weeks.

As for driving your doctor will provide want you off of all pain killers and out of the cast or boot on your driving foot/leg. Then you will need to be weight bearing and have enough strength to push hard enough on the brake and acceleration pedals. It will also involves using your thigh muscles . It’s surprising how many muscles you do use. My therapists again evaluated me on my readiness and then I made several practice runs around my neighborhood before venturing out. 

This recovery is a difficult one, give yourself a break and try to take a day at a time. I did a lot of planning and research from my recliner for 2018,  Things like trips, house improvements, looking up recipes etc. trying to be productive a little bit each day, I’m in my 8 th week from surgery and finally able to start driving on my own and my surgery wasn’t even on my driving foot.  I’ve had a lot of surgeries over the years but this was the most limiting because of the non weight bearing. I also found I needed to accept my recovery time and stop fighting and trying to fiqure my out ways to shorten it. 

Hang in there, it really is temporary, it won’t be forever!

• Posted

thank you Nancy. I didn't have surgery, but acceptance is coming.. slowly. I cannot even live at home, staying with 83 yr old mother and my brother, and my cat is home alone.  I want to go home, and hire someone to come in and cook/clean 2 afternoons a week, when it isn't so swollen I have to elevate it 24/7. I know I'll be sitting around a lot, but hoping to be able to move around, and go to bed/get up when I need to at home. currently on a couch in living room. BUT I am grateful to family for a place to go.

• Posted

I’m so sorry. I have had a pretty discouraging time also. I’m widowed and live alone and was faced with a similar situation. I had to fight and fight to get insurance coverage to go to rehab for a week and then have very limited home health for 2 weeks. I have very supportive adult kids but they have houses with lots of stairs, young children and full time jobs. I wasn’t in any condition to care for myself let alone even get to the bathroom. 

Particulary disturbing was the way the insurance companies coded my surgery as an outpatient even though I was admitted to the hospital for 3 days. If I had a shoulder surgery, still able to walk around and take care of myself, it would have been coded for 20 days of rehab.

Hopefully with becoming weightbearing again last week I am on the other side of this. I still have a very long way to go but at least I feel like I can manage again with help. 

• Posted

I broke my ankle in August and was in a cast for six weeks, then in a boot for another 4. I pretty much kept it elevated the whole time I was in the cast unless I was walking with my crutches. I also iced it several times a day to help with swelling. Once I began weight bearing in the boot and began PT I didn't elevate quite so much. Really it depends on swelling. Once your out of the cast exercises are so important for the swelling too. I drove the day I was out of the boot 10 weeks post op. (I couldn't wait!!) Independence yay! The cast is the hardest part, you will get there, its a long slow recovery.

Take care

• Posted

thank you Machelle. How/where did you ice, if it was in a cast & boot? thanks.

?I wonder if there are any squeeze and contract exercises I can do for calve/thigh so I don't atrophy so much.   thank you

• Posted

Hi Kathryn,

My surgeon had me ice on the back of my leg just above the cast to cool the blood vessels and reduce swelling. While I was wearing the boot I would remove it when I was sitting or laying down, so icing the ankle directly was possible. My physical therapist wanted me out of the boot when I was sitting or laying down so I could do my exercises all through the day. Pumping ankle up and down and writing the alphabet with my foot, stretching ankle with a band were the exercises I started with , it helped with the swelling, and slowly I began to get some flexibility back. As for exercises in the cast, I found the only thing I could do was wiggle my toes. Your leg will atrophy, its unavoidable, but it didn't take too long to regain my leg strength. My calf looked like a child's leg when the cast was removed. lol Finding an excellent PT is so important in your recovery. 

Try to keep your spirits up! I had a lot of dark days while in the cast. It was so hard just waiting for the bone to heal and losing my independence. I also found it impossible to sleep in the boot so I would remove it. I was very mindful to leave my foot out of the blankets so it would not get tangled up and pulled. My doctor did not recommend this but I just had to get some sleep.

Five months latter my recovery is well on it's way,  although my foot doesn't feel normal yet, I am almost walking with a normal gait again (yay). 

You got this girl!!

I hope you find a wonderful Physical Therapist

• Posted

thank you. they also told me a cast for about 4 weeks. but I can come back in 3 weeks for xray.. I thought, why not wait 4 weeks, get it off?

​but now thinking go in 3, in case bumping it got it out of alignment or is that nearly impossible while in a cast. thanks Machelle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.