How long before feeling the benefit of Citalopram again?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hey everyone,

I was on Citalopram for 5 years and came off it about 7 weeks ago after weaning from 10mg to 5mg then zero over a period of one week. Thought I didn't need it any more.

After stopping my anxiety returned, I think I was anxious about not taking it, sounds ridiculous I know.

So I've been back on 10 mg for about 6 weeks but my anxiety is as bad as ever. I'm getting panic attacks too which are pretty scary particularly the palpitations.

My question is, how long will it take for me to feel the benefits again? Should I ride it, increase my dose, something I don't really want to do because of the side effects or should I ask my doctor for something else to take with it.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

1 like, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

I am really surprised with the ignorance still existing around these drugs, despite the thousands of testimonies /experiences in forums and media years now!

The consensus is, that if you're start taking them and proved effective for you, you have to try finding alternative ways to cope with your situation within a couple of years from starting them, and then gradually try to ween off very very very slow!

That could take sometimes a year or more, depending on your initial dose and duration.

This, if you want to minimize the withdrawal symptoms, which could be devastating.

If you take them more than five years, for the vast majority is almost impossible to stop them, and sooner or later you will be forced to go back.

Then you can only hope to work again, and not to have long term problems from being on them for the rest of your life, or for some reason stop working anymore, and start looking for alternative drugs.

This is my personal experience, and so be very cautious!

Best regards.

• Posted

Thank you Kostos,

So is this a reflection of your own personal experience or is it based on your observation of others?

Sharlie

• Posted

Hi,

I was on 20 mg citalopram for 13 years on/off.

Whenever trying to stop them (3 times) I had to go back after a few months, due to horrible physical symptoms. Every time thought as Dr assured me that my nervous breakdown symptoms came back, and I had to go back on the drug to survive.

Nobody told me about withdrawal symptoms.

However since my life conditions had changed and I had a quite good life, there was no reason to be stressed!

So the fourth time I weened off very very slow within 3 years, and I was able to stop them without symptoms. Now I am without drugs for 5 years and doing OK.

I had to stop them although they quite helped me and feeling fine on them, because my blood work results start deteriorating.

My other comments are based on my research findings after my ordeal started, trying to come off them.

Take care!

• Posted

What do you mean your blood work started to deteriorating..??just curious..where you taking other meds to affect your liver??
    • Posted

Hi Kostas,

So good to hear that you are doing well now and drug free too, even though it took you three long years to do so. It must have been a terrible ordeal for you coping with your illness. If you had been given proper guidance you probably could have done this first and foremost I suspect.

Unfortunately, when doctors prescribe these drugs they don't warn you about stopping them abruptly, at least my doctor didn't. It seems we have to be pro-active and visit sites such as this one to learn from those who have experiences with these drugs. When I started taking citalopram I didn't even think of looking them up, I just took them on the say so of my doctor. I didn't even know at that time that there were sites such as this one. When you work full time raising a family and caring for elders, other things take priority.

Are you saying though that Citalopram contributed to changes in blood works and that is why you had to stop taking them? I have read that they can cause high cholesterol when used for a long period of time and particularly if you are over a certain age.

Thanks for sharing your story, I'm sure others will benefit from it.

Regards

• Posted

Many thanks for your kind words.

Yes, my white blood cells count went down from 5.500 to 3.700, and my liver enzymes counts to triple digits!fortunately after the stoppage they were restored again.

So my immune system and my liver functions were compromised badly then.

I am now 64 yo and started them when I was 40

All the best!

• Posted

Hi Lois, just answered to Sharlie about it.

No, I was not taking any other meds then and I do not take any now!

My blood counts and liver enzymes went back to normal gradually, over one year after stopping the citalopram.

Take care

• Posted

Wow Kostas, that's a bit of an eye opener. I hadn't realised that those were side effects.

It highlights the importance of getting routine bloods checked regularly whilst on this med, or on any meds for that matter.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

I wish you all the very best.

• Posted

Hi Sharlie, this is very similar to my situation at the moment. I thought I was ready to come off the tablets so with my doctors advise I reduced from 20mg (which I had been on 4 years) to 10mg then eventually stop, this was all over a month.  I didn’t really feel any different changing from 20mg to 10mg however once I tried to stop my anxiety came back. After a trip to the doctors they told me a month was far to short to come off the tablets all together & put me back on the 20mg. I may have only been on 10mg for a month but the increase in dosage has knocked me for 6. My anxiety has settled a lot compared to 2 weeks ago however I am still getting side effects from the increase - light headedness, fatigue, low mood. My doctor advised me to give it a little longer for the medication to start working fully. It’s amazing to realise how much these tablets help me & I am looking forward to feeling like myself again.

Hope you feel better soon. X

• Posted

Hi Laura,

Yes that's why the thought of increasing frightens me, going through all of those symptoms again. I tried increasing a few years ago on my doctors advice but I couldn't cope and went back to 10mg. It did settle down and I did feel like my old self. I felt so good that I thought I didn't need them anymore. But mistake!

At least your symptoms will pass once you get used to the new dosage and you will feel like your old self again.

I know I will too because I am determined to.

I already feel a little better today and I am going to build on it.

Take care x

• Posted

Sounds like you do need it all the time 

If you were only on 10 mg before and it worked stick with it a while longer ..

OR it may be you do need the 20 mg therapeutic start dose but any changes in levels at all will disrupt and cause the side effects 

You need to ask Gp 

Took me 12 weeks second time round to stabilise on 20 mg

I thought same things as you

I got there though😀

Not coming off it again!

That’s why I feel good 

Because I am on it ?

• Posted

Hi Gillian

Well I'm happy for you that you have stabilized on 10mg. I intend to stick with 10mg and ride it. I get good days and not so good. Yesterday was a good day, today some symptoms back.

Thanks for your post.

• Posted

Hi Sharlie,

I think it sounds like you are suffering the rebound from having done such a quick taper, and then reintroducing the drug.

When I tapered and came off last time, I did it over the space of a couple of years, which I think is a lot kinder on your system.

Give it a few more weeks to even out, maybe ask for some emergency tranquilizer for panic.....

It will settle, but its horrid having to cope in the meantime.

• Posted

Thanks Ruth,

I keep telling myself that's all it is.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hope it all settles for you soon Sharlie. Hang in there x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.