How long before food spoils

Posted , 5 users are following.

How long can cooked food stay out at room temperature before it's considered unsafe to eat? I ate some rice this evening that was cooked this morning. It didn't smell particularly bad or anything, but I'm worried because it was sitting out for a while. It wasn't in the refrigerator. It's been 5 hours and no sickness yet. 

0 likes, 13 replies

Report

13 Replies

  • Posted

    Reheating can be a problem, however, rice can actually go off.  You would notice this immediately from the sour taste that it develops and you would be sick very quickly. I ate bad rice once but it had sweet and sour sauce so I didn’t know it was off.  I was sick in a lot less than five hours. 

    Since you have not been sick, it dodn’t smell bad and presumably had no strange flavour, I would not worry at all abour this.   Remember, excessive worry can make you sick too Try to relax and your stomach will too. Relaxing will also help you to manage your acid relux better.

    Report Reply
    • Posted

      Pippa I couldn't help it. I worried myself into feeling sick. I feel a bit unsettled in my stomach and I can't sleep. I don't know if it's from the worry or from the food I ate. It was fried rice and pot roasted chicken cooked at 8:00 am and eaten and 6:30 pm. Sitting out at room temperature 10 and a half hours.

      Report Reply
    • Posted

      I would try and think about something else since you have worried yourself into feeling sick.   Try to concentrate on a hobby or try light exercise to take your mind off your stomach. Even if you have eaten bad food, still try not to worry about it. these things happen to people from time to time. My dad  tasted a sip of bad milk.  The flavour was disgusting and it made him wretch.  He took a sip of water and it made him feel better and he forgot about it.

      Simply relax! 

      Report Reply
    • Posted

      The slightly unsettled feeling turned into a full blown nausea that had me certain I was going to throw up but I didn't. I eventually fell asleep. Just woke up and feel like I'll need to use the washroom. Maybe I just need to pass out some toxins and I'll be fine. Or maybe anxiety made me nauseous. I have eaten food that's been out 6 hours, even 8 or 9 hours and no reaction. I think this time I just worried about it too much. I literally worried from the time I ate it and for the entire rest of the night. Now I feel kind of paranoid and don't want to eat anything at all but that'll make me more sick so I'll try some crackers or banana. How long did your sickness last when you ate the bad rice?

      Report Reply
    • Posted

      Once I vomited, I felt better very quickly.  It sounds like your anxiety has given you a bad stomach since you have had no reaction to the rice. I would forget about it and eat normally as if nothing has happened.   The more you reduce food, the more you will be frightened to eat properly and the longer you will feel unsettled. Once again, relax!
      Report Reply
    • Posted

      Well, it's been well over 24 hours and no reaction other than the nausea this morning. I did not vomit or even have a bowel movement. I'd like to think I'm in the clear. I ate a normal meal at lunch time and felt fine after. What worried me is the fact that I'm on a PPI which will reduce acid production in my stomach. As you know, an acidic environment is needed to kill bacteria ingested through food. I was fearful that if my acid content was too low, the bacteria would be able to survive and have harmful effects. Is it true that a person becomes more susceptible to bacteria if they're on a PPI, because of the reduction in acid? 

      Report Reply
    • Posted

      If you have had no reaction to the rice in 24 hours, I would simply forget about it and relax!  It is more likely your anxiety had brought on your stomach upset.  

      PPIs can make you more susceptible to stomach flu,.  Since you are worrying about this, it may be better to come off the PPis slowly and switch to H2 blockers instead.  This may help to reduce some of your anxieties.

      In the meantime, the most imporant thing for you to do is to relax and enjoy life!   Remember, the rice did not affect you!   I have.acid reflux and IBS and I do not wory about either of these conditions.  I took omeprazole when my reflux was diagnosed, but I didn’t worry about taking it.   I eventually switched to H2 blockers because I couldn’t be bothered going back and forth to my doctor for prescriptions. Doctors increase my anxiety, so I avoid them if I can. 

      Report Reply
  • Posted

    Hi, that should be fine, but next time make sure to refrigerate your leftovers  after you are finished.

    Report Reply
    • Posted

      It was cooked and left sitting at room temperature for 10 hours. It didn't have a smell but you can't always detect bacteria by smell or taste. I've learned my lesson and will definitely refrigerate food soon after or not eat it. I have eaten food that's been out for 8 hours and no reaction. This time I think I worried and obsessed over it too much which may have caused me to feel unsettled in my stomach.

      Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up