How long before I can drive automatic car

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello 3 weeks since tkr,

still very swollen, in a lot of pain, and still taking all the meds.

hiw long before I can drive my automatic car.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Your dr should be the one to advise you. I've been between 4 and 6 weeks depending on the surgery. Most Dr's want you to wait till you are off heavy pain meds. One problem is not the driving but what would happen if you were in an accident, especially a rear ender, and how it might damage the leg being jammed into a pedal.

• Posted

Kind of agree...

1. You should NOT be driving while on opioid pain meds.  Period.  That's a no-brainer.

2. Left knee?  Then you don't really need it to drive an automatic transmission.  I was driving to PT.  However...

I totally agree that you should consult with your doc and think about how you would extricate yourself in case of an accident.  Very good point.

I'd play it on the safe side but there may be other personal factors involved (age, medical health, current pain levels, no other way to get to PT, driving distance, etc.).  Talk to the doc...

• Posted

I drove after 3 weeks. I was and am still very swollen. It was tricky getting in and out of the car. Just be careful and don't overdue or drive until you feel safe doing it

• Posted

Hi .. I didn't drive until I was 3mths post op and that was an auto with a right TKR .. but I did have lots of issues initially with swelling etc... I still find that I can't drive distances due to swelling... guessing it's different for everyone as we all heal differently.  At least when I have my left knee done on Monday it wont take as long as it's not my driving leg.

Take care... Tracey

• Posted

If you are in Britain it is legally 8 weeks minimum before you can drive a car again, regardless of whether it is auto or not. Officially, technically you must be able to demonstrate that you have safe and proper control of your vehicle. You should discuss this with your motor insurers - if you drive and have an accident whilst being medically 'unsafe' your insurers have every right to not cover you. I had a partial knee replacement and my Consultant wouldn't let me drive until 8 weeks. But by then I was more than ready to drive again and was off all pain meds. I was back at work at 11 weeks driving a bus. Both my car and bus are manual vehicles.

So, in Britain the key is you must be able to demonstrate that you are a fit and proper person to safely drive a motor vehicle .... if you drove would you be able to perform an EMERGENCY STOP using your right leg - I assume its your right leg we are talking about ? From what you have written I'd say not a 'safe person' just at this moment.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.