How long before I return to "normal" once stopping ramipril due to side effects?

Posted , 8 users are following.

i was started on ramipril 3 weeks ago and within a few days was experiencing horrible headaches, head pressure, tinnitus. After one week I developed severe anxiety and panic attacks. I saw the Dr 3 times in one week even calling out of hours in the middle of the night! I rarely visit Dr so this was really out of character. Felt unreal and legs were weak. Tingling in head etc. my GP agreed stopping ramipril was best idea, to wait a few days to get out of system and then try another drug. It's day 3 now off ramipril, headaches nearly gone, still have tinnitus, slight head pressure but anxiety and panic attacks nearly gone. Does anyone else have these experiences and how long before drug effects out of system. I have been signed off sick as not coping, due to a drug!! 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi carol59058,,,

I don't take Rampiril...but after reading your post, I'll suggest to you my thoughts.

You started the Rampiril 3 weeks ago, then started having the nasty side effects, or at least you think it's the Rampiril causing them. I'm rather surprised you didn't attend the Emergency Department of your local hospital, especially when you were bothered during the night. Ok here we go...you were on the Rampiril for about 3 weeks, then came the nasty side effects. You've been off for just 3 days. Headaches are nearly gone, anxiety & panic attacks nearly gone, "slight" head pressure, although the tinnitus is still there. When you think about it, this is quite an improvement. It may take a little longer for the Rampiril to flush from your body. Our body not only goes through physical changes, but physiological as well. As you may know, Rampiril is an A.C.E. inhibitor,& there's the chance you may not be able to tolerate A.C.E's, but there are other medications out there,i.e.

Calcium Channel Blockers, ARB's, (Avapro, Valsartan, etc.).. Your doctor is the best person to discuss this with. You may be fine with a Calcium Channel Blocker, but go into the post here a little more where Amlodipine is concerned. A lot of people including myself have had problems with it. Again, you may be fine. I have a relative who takes Amlodipine & doesn't have a speck of trouble with it; same goes for a few friends, but I was an unlucky one.

Please let us know how you get on. 

• Posted

Thanks for your thoughts Mike. Yes. I know people who take ramipril with no problems. My GP has prescribed a calcium channel blocker for me. Think it's all a bit trial and error but the ferocity of the side effects startled me. Best wishes.
  • Posted

Having only used Ramipril for such a short time I would think the effects wont last very long at all. I was forced to keep on it for a very long time and much of the damage is permanent.
    • Posted

thanks for taking time to reply. Hope you are getting on well now.
  • Posted

I wa stold it can take three weeks to clear your system,I took ramipril but luckly I did not suffer like you.It can also cause skin rashes and ius cheap thats why its widely prescribed .I use Olmesartan much better.
  • Posted

Hi Carol,

I have suffered occasional bouts of anxiety/depression during the past 20 years but it is usually under control using a small dose of anti depressant.

I was put on Ramipril for HBP last year. intially 5mg then 10mg. They then added Amlodipine. I was quite depressed before xmas and Jan/Feb but thought it was stress and winter blues. In Feb I had a 'breakdown' with panic and bad depression.

I read about possible side effects of Amlodipine so I stopped that. No real change but I now wonder if Ramipril could be the culprit. Especially as I always feel worse in the morning/day after I take my 10mg of Ramipril.

This is a very long way of me asking you (and others) if you have a history of anxiety or it was out of the blue ?

I have reduced my Ramipril to 5mg to see how it will effect me over the next few days.

• Posted

Hi Rigby, it is worth discussing with your GP. I have had anxiety on and off over the years but related to an overactive thyroid and also PMT. nothing that I needed help with. But these  attacks were awful. Anxiety is an uncommon side effect of ramipril, check the product characteristics online. My GP was prepared to go along with me as I had only just started ramipril. He has started me on amlodipine which I have been taking for a week with no ill effect. Anxiety is slowing receding. I really hope you start to feel better soon and find the right combination that suits you. Keep going back until you are satisfied. 
  • Posted

Thanks Carol. I'm seeing the correlation of me starting Ramipril and my depression even more now. I am very sensitive to meds in general so I think this one has probably upset the balance of things. I'll be speaking to the GP to get this changed ASAP.
    • Posted

All the best. Hope you get it sorted. Let us know.
  • Posted

I was on ramipril for 3 weeks also and developed a nasty cough gagging everytime. Now been took off them had a triple bypass and valve repaired sept lets hope its the ramipril.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.