How long before it kicks in

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I started venlafaxine on sun 37.5mg twice a day, how long will it take to work as im feeling pretty desperate. Im was on sertraline before x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately all anti depressants take up to six weeks to kick in, but sometimes less.  Depends on the person. 

I was on Sertraline and then Venlafaxine and both took about 8 weeks to kick in.

Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

I agree with Anne that antidepressants take a few weeks to work, but you might notice an occasional improvement before then. In the meantime, you can be kind to yourself, try to relax. I found it useful to distract myself with easy crosswords, and gentle walks to take my mind off how anxious and awful i felt. Try to find whatever works for you.
  • Posted

Its the anxiety i cant cope with and its getting worse. I feel quite shaky too but u think thats the sertraline thats prob still in my system.
    • Posted

If it's too bad, you could ask the doc for a few tranquillisers as a temporary measure, but I know my doc wouldn't give me many. I do know how you feel, believe me, I've been there but come through the other side. Try and hang on in there, and trust that it will get better.
    • Posted

Thank you its good to know its not just me. I take zolpidem to help me sleep.
  • Posted

Doc prescribed me with 2mg of diazapam to take for my anxiety i took my first one yesterday and another this morning but not noticed any progress, help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.