How long before methotrexate start to work

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all on my 3th week taking methotrexate for rheumatoid-arthritis and pain got much worst.

Only take solpadeine sometimes but find them no good, how long before any improvement.

Thank you.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Tia

I've only been on it 2 weeks - 3rd dose last night. Im now spring the dose to twice a week.  Was told it will be 10 - 12 weeks before they kick in.  The mtx made me react to my naproxen. I'm now on arcoxia and cocodamol with tramadol occasionally when really bad. Go to arthritis Care site.  The faq stuff is excellent. Pm me if you want.  

• Posted

Hi Lucynewas

Thank you for your reply but the only I know that you mention is tramodol and that was over 2 years ago I was on that and it was terrible , I couldn't sleep and didnt help the pain.

Im surprised you are going to take methotrexate twice a week because hospital and pharmacist said only ever take one day a week even when they up the dose whice is after every 2nd week till I reach 15mg.

I hope you feel better soon

cheerio

Tia Dublin Ireland x

• Posted

Hi Tia

I started on 15 mg - wish I'd thought about gradually increasing the dose! Now I'm taking 7.5 twice a week to twice the side effecrs. Utterly exhausted - like having a p permanent hangover!

• Posted

Hello there,

It will take a while before Methotrexate can reduce your pain but beware of the side effects too.  I was taking Predisone and sulfasazine tablets everyday while I was also taking MEX once a week.

MEX start to work between 6 weeks to 3 months. It depend where and how bad your condition is.

Changing your diet will also helps. Have a pure Pomengrate juices daily. smile

Hope that helps.

• Posted

how did you know that the mtx had started to work? or did you have tontry to come off the steroids and see?

• Posted

Hi Shorty

wow that's bad if it takes that long because hospital dont want me taking painkillers

I have rheumatoid-arthritis in knee and back but what makes it worst is its on opposite sides so one side is always compensating for the other so I never win.

Will definitely try that juice and thank you for replying .

Hope your painfree now .

cheerio

• Posted

Hi Lucy,

I was advised to stay on steroids longer than I should have and based on my monthly blood tests result because I was told that MEX will take a while to settle into your body and should stay on MEX for at least a year, which I did.

so to your questions, yes I did came off steroids and see it for myself. You will know it after between 2-4 weeks.

• Posted

I hope so - the MTX is making me feel horrible - 2 hour sleep every day just to keep going through the evening.!!  What do the blood test tell them?
    • Posted

Hi again Lucynewas

Just seen your text saying you only get 2 hour sleep, stay off Tramodol it stops you sleeping.

Try a milky drink hot .

• Posted

My daughter is on MTX. First 3weeks no real side effects or result. The following 4 weeks caused her an intense amount of arthritic and muscle pain that not even opiates touched for the first 36hours, by the third day post MTX she just slept all day and all night with exhaustion from the 10/10 pain. There has been the methotrexate pain side effect documented before. She is now trying subcut MTX with much less painful effects???!! Her disease MCTD has yet to improve and we have just had her 9th weekly dose. Of course it is hard to get the doctors to really listen to you as I think they just don't know enough.

anyone else experience the MTX pain side effect?

• Posted

Hi Leonie

What strenght did your daughter start methotrexate , I'm going on my 4th week now 10mg and a lot of pain hope its not going to get worst because everthing I do is an indurance test

Hope your daughter like wise find a treatment that works please God.

cheerio Tia x

• Posted

Hi Tia

She was commenced on 15mg orally once a week. The doctors thought that maybe the nausea experienced on oral somehow caused an overwhelming pain effect??? Not so sure as the nausea didn't appear that bad at the time.

Now she has had 2 weeks of 15mg subcut which isn't causing the immense pain, which is great. Maybe she has gotten use to the side effects as you often do or maybe it was to do with the gut???

i have heard that when you go from oral to injected MTX the dose is sometimes decreased as more is absorbed.

Are you on oral or injected MTX??

Goodluck, Leonie

• Posted

hi i have taken methodrexate for over a year along with other medication the only advice i can give is be very patiant it will help in time thanks
    • Posted

Hi William.

may I ask what painkillers you were on as well and do you know how methotrexate stops the pain if there not a pain killer.

How long before you got releif.

Thank you for replying.

Cheerio Tia x

• Posted

My daughter is on other disease modifying meds ( hydroxychloroquine) as well as regular paracetamol and ibuprofen, along with codiene phosphate and sevredol when pain above 6/10. Prednisone is real rough on her reflux and causes quite nasty Cushings. She also suffers from prednisone psychosis which is not at all nice. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.