How long before Pilocarpine starts working?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. Been trying to get some answers to this but with no avail. They say I guess it can take up to 3 months. I have been on this now for about a month. Last Saturday i had a spurt of saliva which lasted a few minutes and i could clearly tell it was probably my Salagen meds. But apart from that not really noticing anything. The mouth dryness is at an all time high. I dont really know how to be. it is that bad. Infact its scary. Would be so nice to hear about anyone else on this stuff and how it has worked for them. Thank you!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chris. Did you mean Plaquinel? You asked how long pilocarpine took to start to work, but that's something that usually starts working in 10 to 20 minutes for dry mouth. Plaquinel on the other hand can take 3 -6 months before it begins to work. in reference to Sallegen, I think Evoxac works much better.

• Posted

Hello Cara and thanks for responding. Its Salagen 5mg i am taking. Im in Eurorpe so guess that is Pilocarpine in the US. Yeah been on it for almost a month and its done very little. I wonder if they have Evoxac here. Not heard of it.

• Posted

Hi Chris. Salagen is the brand name and Pilocarpine is the generic. Evoxac is a brand name medication that comes in 30mg capsules that treats dry mouth and dry eyes. the generic is called Cevimeline and my rheumatologist told me to take it 4 times a day, so I usually take it before meals and before bedtime, unless I'm in a flare and feel like I need to take it at other times. For me, it is much stronger and if I take doses too close together, it will actually make me break out in an all over sweat. Since I've had Sjogren's I never sweat anymore and I used to sweat alot in the heat, so you can imagine how well this medication works if it can get the waterworks flowing all over. Here in America, the Evoxac and it's generic, are much more expensive than the Salagen, but it's worth every penny. When I took the generic Salagen my mouth would flood with saliva for about an hour to the point that I literally had to spit like I was nauseated, but after that first hour I would gradually get more and more dry and by hour 3 my throat was sticking together and I would need another pill; all this even with me constantly drinking something throughout the day. If possible, you should ask your doctor about it. I'm so grateful to be able to take it; it has stopped my tongue from burning so I can eat a normal meal and I can sleep without uncomfortable mouth dryness that makes me feel like I'm choking. Plus, it's great for dry eyes and I never have to use dry eye drops anymore. Good luck Chris. ☺

• Posted

hey! thank you so very kindly for taking the time to write me such an informative reply. now that you mention it. i dont seem to sweat either. i had lip biopsy and sjögrens A/ B tests about a month ago but came back negative. however still having awful dry mouth, dry throat, burning nasals. ill have to look into this cevilimene. thx so much.

• Posted

Hey Cara. I checked into Evoxac here but they do not have permission to sell it here. Must be a reason for that. So Salagen only. Sure wish it would work more and faster. Like i should think when its properly working you can tell!

Do you recall on Salagen did it ever make you feel weak? Now its super hard when your popping these pills ( salagen) that are the symptoms coming from you or are they side effects from the med. Did not have these kinds of side fx pritty sure when i was not on this stuff. Like a fatigue and muscle weakness. Cheers C!

• Posted

i seem to have stopped getting notifications for new messages on this site, so only just seen this message .

ive just stopped taking pilocarpine . i was only taking it for less than four weeks, having been referred by my dentist to the oral surgery department. it made no difference at all to my mouth. the doctor during the second telephone appointment said that there was no point carrying on as it would have started working by then if it was going to, and anyway i couldn't be on it for too long because of the damage it can do to your body! ive felt awful since around the second week of taking it. really nauseous, no energy and a headache at the front of my head, and lost my appetite.

My gp was appalled that I'd been put on it in the first place, and said the symptoms I am getting are definitely side effects, and could take two weeks to wear off after stopping it!

• Posted

Hi...

Did the side effects go? Ive awful nausea.... Think... As i ssid think its pilocarpine.. Other factors too.... But nausea after 5 tabs over 5 dsys..... Did yours pass?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.