How long before prescibed doxycycline ??

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,went to Optometrist today. Started off with much irritation,blurred vision etc. I have mgd and at times outer eyelid inflamation. Its very unnerveing,started mid march. Diagnosed about a month ago. I would like to try an antibiotic Like doxycycline. She wants to just keep the warm compresses fish oil etc. Says she wants to give it another 6 months. 6 months of seeing like this,my son is getting married Oct. I would really like to try and reduce my symptoms before the wedding. How long before your doc offered you the option of trying it? Very depressing. I know it might not work,but it would be at least a try.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lee,   I too have blepharitis, MGD and dry eye. I have been prescribed Doxycyline for Roseacea, apparantly there is a connection between these conditions and been on these antibiotics over 3 months. They have helped my skin condition but only a slight improvement in my MGD !! The best thing for me is to apply heat pad/gently scrub my lids and eye drops.....I would not be on these antibiotics if it was not for the unsightly pustules over my face. You must avoid the sun when taking Doxycyline and dont take on an empty stomach or you feel quite sick  !!!
    • Posted

Can i ask what brand of drops you use?
    • Posted

What dose do you take. Have read low dose works just as well. 20x2. 40 mg a day. Fewer side affects. I read constantly lol.
  • Posted

I had no problems taking the Doxycyline apart from having to use factor 60 religiously. It really does make you susceptible to sunburn and I was surprised how quickly ( and painfully) I burnt on a day I forgot the sunscreen.
  • Posted

I use 100mg Doxycyline capsules daily.    I  also use systane eye drops occasionally during the day but always need them when i awake as I am unable to open my eyes,  My eyes feel stuck together even though i applied my heat pad last thing at night !! So very strange !!!
    • Posted

The heat pad gets the oil in your glands going,maybe thats why. You might want to put drops in after the heat to rinse them.
  • Posted

Hi Lee, it could be that once you've done the heat treatment your lids need a thorough clean and  slight scrape with wipes afterwards. If you are not doing this already then it's worth a try. Again if you get up in the night to use the bathroom and your eyes feel gummy. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.