How long before you get used to Mirtazapine ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Prescribed for me for depression and last night took my first tablet.  Slept better than I have been doing, woke up to go the loo as per normal and then did drop off immediately until morning when hubby woke me.  Felt like a zombie.   It has just gone 5 p.m. and I still feel so tired and could drop off as soon as I sit down.   I know your body has to get used to a new drug, but does the extreme tiredness eventually go ?   I hope so !!

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes it will get better day by day; takes about a week to level out for most probably.  Mirt', as you probably know, contains a sedative and it can last 24/7 for some which of course will help anxiety.  For some it just has that effect for about 10/12 hours, for me it was 24/7.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Angela it took about 7-10 days for my body to adjust to the sedation effect, although even after that I had days when I had to get to bed early, the tiredness would sweep over me. I am now 12 weeks on 15mg Mirt and feeling MUCH better. I wish you well 
  • Posted

Thanks to those who replied to me.    Today I don't feel quite so tired, but even after 2 doses of "Mirt" I feel calm and my mood has lifted.   This is far too early for an anti-depressant to have had that effect, but I am making the most of it.   As you all well know, depression is an awful thing to have.    People's comments don't help.  Years ago when I first experienced S.A.D. a colleague told me "Depressed?   I am too busy to be depressed".  What a stupid remark.   I wish all you fellow sufferers better times ahead.  Spring is round the corner !!

• Posted

I feel so much better although tonight will only be 3rd taking of Mirt.   I note from the leaflet that comes with the pills that weight gain is a common side effect.    Good !   I am stick thin and underweight so no problem with that.   However since being on Mirt, I can't stop eating.    Can't get enough.    Maybe that is another side effect of this drug.  Anybody else had this side effect ?

• Posted

Most people have the munchies on this drug. It did calm down for me after about a month.
  • Posted

After 3 weeks on 15 mg I still cannot stay awake all day. at best I am groggy, more often i am confused to the point I am unable to safely drive. several days I slept the entire day.

For me this prescription has not been a success.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.