How long between HIDA scan and surgery?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm having my HIDA scan in 4 days! Just wanted to know what was your wait time between getting a HIDA scan and surgery. I want my gallbladder out as soon as possible!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Two weeks , only waited that long because of the surgeon's schedule. I wanted my gallbladder out a sap because I was having a lot of pain and acid reflux.

• Posted

Had mine February. Still waiting!!
    • Posted

I'm in UK. Told i would have it in May. I asked when to give me some idea but couldn't get an answer. Apparently there's a long waiting list on NHS over here. So who knows? I read on here some wait up to 7 months. To have it done privately costs £6000. Hope you hear soon.

• Posted

US - wasn't terrible waiting - it worked out okay- made all my arrangements with work and got everything done at home.

• Posted

I had a HIDA after my gallbladder was removed because afterward I had a bile leak and went septic. So for different reasons. I wasn't aware they did HIDAs before. I thought CTs. But I'm probably wrong.

• Posted

M80731,

A CT scan usually shows gallstones and my Ultrasound showed no gallstones. HIDA scans are usually done before surgery on those who are suspected of having gallbladder failure with no stones. It shows the flow through the liver and gallbladder and whether the gallbladder is contracting and working properly. For that reason it can also be used after to see leaks.

• Posted

Hi, Amanda,  your doctor will need to review the results of the scan, meet with you and give you his recommendations.  Then, assuming you need surgery, you'll be referred to a surgeon, who will examine you and propose a date and time. How long you will need to wait will depend on that process.

• Posted

Hi all, I was diagnosed October 2014 and am still waiting for my operation. The frustrating thing is that when I've gotten closer to getting the operation something else reared its head which lead me down another path of investigations - firstly for my heart (which I still am convinced isn't 100 percent), and more recently sleep apnea tests which were ordered by the anaesthetist. The results of that just came back yesterday which showed I had moderate to severe sleep apnea which she now wants treated before any operation can take place. Of course like the majority of yourselves the gallstone problems have not abated but rather have increased substantially to the point where it's rare to have what I would call a 'normal' day. I have not been able to work for about a year and a half and am now having to face applying for medical retirement or termination on medical grounds. I'm 53 years old and this has affected my life and indeed those around me terribly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.