How long can a flare up last during colitis

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi..i was on this recently about my 18 year old son who was recently told may have colitis, but only thing was he wasnt loosing weight...now he is...how long can a flare up last....im worried sick for him as he is a talk healthy lad and now this is having a horrible affect...and Im helpless as a mother...please can someone give me some advice

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Carol. My husband has just been really ill with his first ever flare up of UC, he says he understands what the Drs are saying but then admitted to me he doesn't really know much about his condition. I have had extended family members with IBDs in the past but can't help him much as it was many years ago. I suffer with very bad IBS and he thinks I can help but have tried to explain to him that UC is much worse please could you send the link for the video as reading isn't his fortay. I really do think we need all the help we can get to try and deal with his disease and keep him well and pain free. Thanks I'm very worried about him.

• Posted

Hang in there. I am 65 and was diagnosed at 17. I think it was much harder when I was younger. flareups were more often then, but still have them about 1 to 2 years. I am an ex professional athlete and at times it was hard to perform. but battled through it. I have been with my wife since then and she has always been very supportive. help from family is so important. the more your son understands his condition will help and he should know that he is not alone. understand that when he is in remission things are very normal. but when flareups occur, is when he will need your help and support. I also kept this health problem to myself and family. mostly because of my profession and fear of that it could be a negative as a M.L player. Hope things get better. again hang in there.

• Posted

Hi Carol!

I understand your son's pain, I am 18 years old and in my second semester of college. I was diagnosed with UC back in Jan. 2018. It's a tough thing to deal with but the medication takes a lot of the pain away. My flare ups usually open happen if I eat something my body doesn't agree with or I become forgetful with my medicine. The pain is only temporary, i hope your son is okay. Try to stay positive. Hugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.