How long can antidepressants remain effective for?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I have GAD and for 15 years my symptoms were in remission; 1st 9 years on Paroxetine and following 6 on Escitalopram.

These both eventually stopped working and my anxiety returned with a vengeance in October last year. Tried Paroxetine again but it only worked for a matter of weeks.

I'm now on Sertraline and over 13 weeks have gone from 50 mgs to 200. Have had some good weeks but since moving to 200 my anxiety hasnt gone away. It's been 19 days now on this dose.

My question is, has anyone out there been on more than 2 antidepressants that have worked for some time and then stopped? I'm really worried that my brain has compensated after beingon medication for so long and no SSRI'S will work for me again.

Would appreciate hearing anyone else's experiences as looking for some reassurance that this isn't my life from now on. I'm a 50yr old female.

Thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, Yes I've had issues with SSRIs pooping out too. I'm now on a trycyclic antidepresant DOSULEPIN. Ive been on it just over 3 months and its taken a while to get stable but im feeling really good and hopeful. My Pdoc said there is a resurgance of these antidepressants because they are very effective for long term treatment .

• Posted

Hi Sammy

Do you take it for anxiety? And do you mind me asking what antidepressants you've been on and how long before thèy pooped out?

• Posted

ive been on them for 20years, effexor, pristiq & lexapro the first 2 didnt stopworking i just tried to get off them and weaned top fast terrible withdrawls. Have had issues with PMS so went on lexapro with seroquel but didnt have much relief 4 years. Earlier this year i got food poisoning which triggered IBS and then a relapse of anxiety. have been on dosulepin just over 3mths and still 10mg lex but hope to be off that completely by the end of the year and just on the dosulepin. the dosulepin has helped my IBS and hopefully the PMS, still not there yet but doc insists they take time. You will feel better again just need to find the right one. Have you got a good supporting doctor?

• Posted

Hi Samantha, Sertraline 200mg pooped out after 16 years working perfectly for me. I am now on combination of Sert 175 and Mirt 30. I've messaged you about a blog and twitter site i've started to help others going through similar experiences. Best of luck

• Posted

Hi

i am exactly like you Samantha. Was on Citalopram for 19 years and the past 2 years has been awful.

i wasnt sure if antidepressants could stop working.

My anxiety is back with a vengance, its truly awful.

i went onto Sertraline from 50mg to 200 within 9 weeks. Going up every 2 weeks. Ibe been on 200mg for 9 dsys now. ive been on Mirtazapine but have been taken off.

They give me Quetiapine but it makes me sleepy.

Iam just really worried that Sertraline wont work.

I a have my own business etc and feel like giving everything up as i cant cope.

Sorry that im telling you about me, just that we have similar issues it seems and was hoping othets may be able to shed some light?

I hope you can get better soon.

Tammy

• Posted

Hi Tammy

Sorry to hear that you are also having a bad time.

Do you mind me asking how old you are, and whether Citalopram was the 1st AD you went on?

I too am terrified that nothing is going to work for me now. I am having to take Clonazepam and also really worried I will develop an addiction to that but I cant function without it. I dont work currently as I lost my job in January due to this relapse.

Have you tried anything else in the last 2 years? And do you suffer from being aware of your mind 24/7 and having weird thoughts? Have you ever experienced derealisation

Sorry for all the questions its just, like you say, its good to share with someone who is also suffering and can relate.

Take care x

• Posted

hi, I've recently had to double my Prozac been on it for 20 years i think its more to do with perimenopause kicking in - are you all also at a viable age to be peri/menopausal ?

Hormones are haywire. See your GP & if this is a possibility, maybe HRT could also help ?

Just a thought. Good Luck all xxx

• Posted

Hi Mimi

When my anxiety returned last October I hadn't had a period for over a year so I did consider the menopause as being a contributory factor.

I made the decision to start HRT and went on patches in March but can't say it's made a difference tbh. However I know some people have developed anxiety for the 1st time due to the menopause so who knows??!

• Posted

Agreed whilst I've not suffered properly since my early twenties, anxiety came back in my early forties but the Drs insist I'm too young?!?! Whereas my sister, who has never had it started to get anxiety in her mid forties which coincided with her menopause. (Different Drs).

If the hrt alone hasn't improved it to a point where you are able to live happily/normally - whatever that may be - then defo go back to Drs. Try to get CBT & then if it still isn't at a reasonable level for you get back to Drs for medication. Life is too short. I'm great at giving advice to others lol.

• Posted

Hi Mimi

Yes, the doctor has spoken to me about that and said it can take 10 years for that stage and that was all. 

• Posted

ok, but hardly very helpful. Was it a male GP by any chance? Are there any other GP's at the surgery - ask them what can help.

CBT is meant to be very useful for a plethora, not just anxiety, but also peri/menopause.

Also ask which antidepressant can be used "off licence" for PMS/PMT. Ask if they are worth trying.

• Posted

I know. Not helpful. Yes my GP is male.

Ive had CBT. It was the psychologist that mentioned peri menopause.

Now im stressing about the pregabalin they have put me on as ive looked up many horror stories as well as weight gain and i cant have that. Too many changes, im not coping at all and anxiety is worse than ever!

i am in an awful place right now.

• Posted

Hi Tammy

I'm 3 weeks into dose increase to 200mgs and my anxiety is horrendous all day with no let up. Alot of people on this forum have said dose increases can take up to 8 weeks to level out, but I'm not confident.

I'm finding it so hard that for 15 years I was in remission and now I seem to be back to square one, but with the added factor that I may have become treatment resistant. Thankfully have an appointment with my Psychiatrist on 29th July so will see what he advises.

Wish they could come up with a new treatment or better still cure for this god forsaken affliction!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.