How long can I expect Mirtazapine withdrawal to last?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all,

I've searched the Web for an answer but can't seem to find the right one...

I have been on Mirtazapine for 16 months and just had a baby 2 months ago. I decided to come off Mirtazapine as it was a nightmare for night feeds and my mental health has really improved, basically I felt ready to move on. I cut down from 30mg to 15mg for 2 weeks, then stopped completely on the advice of my doctor. 

For 2 weeks I felt great, then started feeling rotten. Headache constantly, nausea, dizziness, extremre fatigue, itchy swollen eyes and allergy symptoms. This sounds like Mirtazapine withdrawal. 

2 weeks later I still feel like this. My doctor didn't warn me about this, and I have my beautiful baby to take care of. It's upsetting to say the least. My doctor has since left and her replacement was of no help. 

Does anyone know how long I can expect this to last

last? Mentally I am fine apart from being upset that I'm ill and can't do what I need to do. I'm on no other

meds. 

If someone could help or advise I would be so grateful, I don't want to get too down about it, but I'm so worried this will go on and on. I really don't want to restart my meds,.it's time to go medication free for me.

Thankyou for reading x

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Well, your situation looks like many other situations. Doctors prescribe this stuff buy have no idea about its withdrawal sympt. You came off it cold turkey...I have no idea what to suggest...I'm following a withdrawal plan explained in "The road back" website...The withdrawal sympt seem to always arrive after the second week, it's a classic. personally I'm tapering off slowly 10% evry 2 weeks. Neertheless, At the third week I feel sick, same as you. Since you went cold turkey your WS might as well last another week. People suggest to reinstall a small dose and retaper off from there...But in your case since it's already 2 weeks, may be you should endure a bit more...Try and talk with some expert. How are you feeling now?
    • Posted

Thankyou for your reply. Yes it's been 4 weeks since my last tablet so I'm reluctant to reinstate them. At the minute I'm just shakey, nauseous, dizzy and tired. I guess I could handle another week if I knew that was it but I'm so worried it will be longer, it feels like the last hurdle I have to face before I can start my "new life" pardon the cliché. 

The tablets served me well, I suppose this might be the price I have to pay sad

Thankyou again

• Posted

so, 2 weeks of Withdrawal s....After the third week you should be fine. I do not know, you'd better contact an expert  asap if I were you. After the first reduction I made, I felt exactly like you for 10 days...It all happened with a major headache that never seemed to cease, then nausea, dizziness. I had to reinstate the previous dose to restabilize, because I just could not do anything. I hope you headache is gone, at least.
    • Posted

Thanks, I do hope so. I don't know who to contact as my gp doesn't have a clue and I'm no longer under the care of a phsyc. I only went on Mirtazapine because trazodone were just zonking me. I wish I'd come off Mirtazapine when I was pregnant, then I could have just rested sad just had massive shooting headache and had to lie down

Thank goodness my husband is off work at the moment. I'm.so sick of it sad

X

• Posted

Catherine I'm tapering of Mirtazapine I started on 45mg when I decided to come off it my Dr told me to come Down to30mg for 4 weeks and I felt just like you but I rode the storm untill I felt better then I started to come down real slow,right now I'm down to 15mg at the moment I'm not to bad.I learned a lot off Mannuel. I think you've got two choices ( taking into concsideration you've got a new baby ) Go back to your GP or ride the storm.Best of luck and congratulations on your new baby.Sorry if I've ranted on 
    • Posted

By the way, I found a compounding pharmacy. This allow me to have tiny doses and do a perfect tapering. 
    • Posted

One more thing: you need good Omega 3 supplements + vitamine E. This can help a lot.
  • Posted

Hi Catherine

I took Mirtazapine for about 2 years the side effects are to sleep all the time and eat i put 2 and half stone on . i had to begged my doctor to try a different pill for my depression she put me on Cymbalta 60mg .It helped alot my sleep went back to normal and i feel on a level :Pills are not a cure but the right one could help you.

• Posted

Hi they say slowly is the best way, your doctor should be able to advise the best way.I have been using them in the past and stopped and go wth them, with no fundy results, best to come uff it all iff you can.

Alexander.

• Posted

Hi Catherine I was on mirt for about 18 months to 2 years. I came off about 6 weeks ago because I discovered that it was making it difficult for me to urinate. It was my psychiatrist who took me off it. I initially had difficulty in getting to sleep and my back pains stopped. So good withdrawal effects. But no negative effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.