How long can I stay on the blue tabs

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

I am due to go back to the doctor for my first month check up. I have lost 8lb in that time and I am over the moon. I have dieted without the Orlistat since January and despite counting points religioulsy (I was following weight watchers) and exercising I only lost 3lb in 3 month. My fear is now that I have lost 8lb that my doctor will say I no longer need the tablets. I was 11stone 12 when I started so no 11stone 4 (only 5ft tall). Does anyone know if I can stay on tablets til I reach my healthy BMi weight of 9stone 6lb??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The nurse said that I have to lose 5% in 3 months & 10% in 6 months otherwise you are not allowed to continue. I weighed 107 kilos when the nurse weighed me on Tuesday before I started taking tablets. So that works out that in 6 months I have to lose 10.7 kilos . Hope that is of some use :P
  • Posted

I'm the same as you 5ft and need to get down to 9 1/2 stone my nurse, who I see regularly told me that they would probably let me stay on the tablet til I get to 10 stone then I have to lose the last 1/2 stone by myself.

I think it all depends on your Dr and how they want to play it, one Dr I went to see would only give me a months supply so got an appt with another and on the advice of the nurse asked for 2mth supply which obviously saves me money and the Dr time as they don't need to see me so often and they agreed on the 2 mths supply. I am seeing the nurse fortnightly.

If one Dr doesn't do what you want see another if possible

• Posted

smile Hi

I was told if you lose weight on it you can take it for 12 months - my GP told me to aim at losing a stone in a year...... :cry: I want to lose a stone a month!! LOL :lol: and at least 3 stone in a year!!!

• Posted

Thanks for the advice folks - Hopefully my Doctor will allow me to stay on the tablets. I'll let you know how I go on Tuesday.. Fingers crossed I can geta two month prescription too!!
  • Posted

I was told that I had to lose 4lb's in the first month to stay on, not sure if that was just that Dr's guide lines, but I think 8lbs you will have no problems being allowed to stay on.

found these guidelines on patient.info:

* You must lose at least 5% of your weight by three months from starting orlistat, and at least 10% of your weight by six months. If not, the orlistat should not be continued to be prescribed.

* You must be between the ages of 18 and 75 years.

If you continue to lose weight after six months, your doctor may advise that you continue to take orlistat. This may be for up to 1-2 years, or longer if you have a great deal of weight to lose.

• Posted

my doctor has said that while i am obese/top end of overweight on the BMI she will monitor my weight loss and if i am loosing weight each month or have a good reason for not then she'll keep me on them. i have PCOS and the more i weigh the worse the effects are of PCOS so she sees this as being beneficial and to be honest now over 2st lighter than when i started the effects are less - hurrah!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.