How long can you live on anti-depressants before they wear out?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm curious of how long you can take anti-depressants before they stop working. I was on Zoloft for 4 weeks and it made me much happier, but evenutally over time my anxiety and depression came back in the 5th week. My doctor has now put me on 100mg I was wondering if it will be the same cycle where it will work for a bit and then i'll have to continue increasing the dosage or that the particular dosage could possibly work best and I can continue using the same dosage for a long amount of time and it's still working. Because I seriously wouldn't mind taking a drug for life. 

If anyone could tell me their experinces it will be much appreicated. smile 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

These are excellent questions to ask the gp pr doctor who is giving you the meds. Everyone is different.
  • Posted

A dose of antidepressant will last a day but it will build up in your body over time.

My injection for example lasts for a month so you can have depos for two weeks a month or daily oral anti depressants. so if you stopped taking your pills it would not be long before your symptoms returned probably a few days to a week.

rich

• Posted

Zoloft 25mg has helped me plus i take lorazepam generic for ativan and trazedone and lamotrigine and my anxieties have been down 

At times i feel anxious but its helping me 

Give it time it will help 

Elizabeth

• Posted

Sertraline is doing  the same with me when increased it is only effective for a couple of weeks then wears off.

Speak to you doctor

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.