how long can you stay on librium

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have a query i've been on 5mg librium 3x daily for anxiety for 4 months i did tell my gp they are only for short term and i asked if i should be worried because i'm still n them he told me i'm only on a lowish dose so not to worry i was on diazapam for a week before librium but he took me off them as he said diazapam is more addictive than librium so thats why i'm on them but som people off here have told me there dangerous which now i'm petrified but gp said they are ok on dose i'm on has anyony been on librium and for how long just need some reassurance thanks

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

• Posted

May I suggest that you thoroughly research this group of drugs. I wish had before taking any.

• Posted

hi jackie have you yourself been on them and if so what happened i have read a few things about them and mailnly its on about people with alcholol problems not much about the anxiety side of takeing the drug

• Posted

i am not happy gp dispenses these over a period of time for my anxiety when im trying to get a suitable anti dep. now im stuck and have no a.d yet but benzos which i can feel are becoming addictive. how did you manage with using them, or coming off

• Posted

tapering had to be done slowly to be safe. Ashton manual explains safe method of tapering. Addiction is just one of the major problems of taking the benzos even for a short period of time. The only way fwd is to get off them but safely. The side effects ate horrendous and creep up on people without them realising. Tapering is the only way to deal with this drug.

• Posted

benzos were prescribed for me for a neuro condition I do not drink. Problems arise in ppl who do not drink.

• Posted

thanks for replying how long were you on librium for and how did you taper off i'm seeing my gp later to see what he has to say again...

• Posted

hi ann which benzos you takeing and how long for my gp has told me after xmas until he will put me on antidepressant suitable for me tried sertraline and citalopram which dnt suit me

• Posted

sorry what sort of problems arise in ppl who dont drink if you dnt mind me asking

• Posted

ty been to see my gp and she is happy with me and told me not to listen to some of the ppl on here as they are not gp's i'm on the lowest dose and been cut down for the last week on 2 x daily not 3 not had no side effects 6yrs ago i was addicted to zopiclone for well over a yr and stopped cold turkey had no side effects what so ever

• Posted

thanks for your info. i dont know anyone whomhas come off with ashton. i wish i did. dr wants me to try another a.d and im not happy, they all made me feel ill

• Posted

have u fdone your own research into benzos. Iy is extremely dangerous to ct. I am bowing out of this discussion now as you can google

• Posted

I advise you to google everything. I wish I had done my research before taking any benzos. CTis cold turkey.

• Posted

How did u come across this forum? Why do u ask for help then reject what is stated?

• Posted

maybe same as you i do not reject help on here as you seem to be only person who has commented on this post so the info you supposedly given is no help really as i listen to a professional my gp who has reasurred me only you seem to give me so far is negative comments some people have been on librium which is far less addictive than diazapam for years with no ill effect like you stated to me in an earlier comment you have not been on librium which is the less damageing benzo like i said previously i was addicted to zopiclone years ago which is a more addictive benzo

• Posted

wow. ladies. seems there is a real problem with benzos and i am in midst of it too. from what you both know, when my dr says dont worry youre on a low dose i.e. 5mg night, and 2 x 2mg in day, should i believe this as i feel awful and would love to be able to try ashton but cant stop these, who do i go to about dependence help?

• Posted

Ann,

\There is never a low dose when it come to benzos.

Are you saying you are taking 4.5 mg per day? Which benzo?

• Posted

yes 5mg at night, and rest in day. narcotics anonymous, should i tell dr im doing this?

• Posted

well the dr prescribed these to me and i thought they should be able to guide you when trying to lower your usage. is that not what drs are supposed to help with

• Posted

i really cant believe that you are going against the doctors job he is there and trained hard to be in his job to help people who are in need and would not prescribe medication especially benzos willy nilly to anyone it's more than there jobs worth they give you them for a reason

• Posted

i'm off them tyvm and i suggest you get a life and stop trying to be doctor to everyone else everybody is different when it comes to any medication and not only benzos doctors are ther to help people so if all you can do is give bad advice to people who need some guidence i suggest you find a job

• Posted

lolasmom what you on and for how long you been on them for ive not had problem comeing off mine

• Posted

I was on trazodone ( not a benzo) for 11 months. been off for 14 months

Also on Clonezepam (benzo ) for 18 months. Been off just about 13 months.

Pure hell with withdrawals. Still in protracted withdrawals

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.