how long deos it take for olanzapine to start working n make u sleep

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have severe bipolar n severe anxiety all my life but was formally diagnosed in 2003. I started taking meds again about a yr ago n olanzapine was just one. But a month and half ago my insurance got canceled so I'm not able to get back to the dr. But since I have not been able to sleep at all no matter how many otc meds I take i practically overdose my self with no relief. But I just found a full bottle of this meds n thought it might give me temporary relief. How lo g does it take to kick in n start working especially for sleep? I've already been awake for 3 days n just need a little relief. Like if I take it tonight will it even help with sleep this early?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Kristle  I am reducing my Olanzadine  from 5mg down to 2.5   for 2 weeks and then 2.5mg every alternative day  At present I have not been sleeping too well and I take 2mg diazapan at night which helps me sleep  I have been on Olanzapine for several years after a breakdown in which I was hospitalised and was treated with electric shock treatment (6 sessions) I have been on medication since  I am 68 and hopefully hope to reduce my medication  Hope this information helps you best wishes from Margaret

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.