How long did it take for your antibodies to go down?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I know everyone is different, but looking for a general time frame to see how long it took for peoples antibodies to go down. thanks!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I'm only a month in, but still feel terrible and no improvement yet. How long have you been on medication? My doctor said it can take up to six months!

• Posted

ive been on methimazole and atenolol for almost 2 months but switching to ptu today. i can honestly say i feel 80% better. period is coming back more normal, sweating is slowed down and the shaking has stopped. pounding heart has def stopped and i dont feel jittery anymore. 
    • Posted

I'm on methimazole, atenolol and propanolol. How long until you felt them working? I'm still sweaty, weak and my heart hasn't gotten much better. Or do you mean the ptu worked and the methimazole did not?

• Posted

i think for me the turning point was 1 month in. my first period after taking methimazole/atenolol came back heavier and longer ( before it was only 1-3 days and looked like spotting). sweating has def slowed as in i felt chilly for the first time in a long time and put a blanket on whenn watching a movie. before i could feel my heart jumping out of my chest but my resting HR has turned back to 80 bpm. and ive only noticed a slight tremor once since starting meds. started w 20 mg of meth and 25 mg of atenolol 
    • Posted

Sounds like a great improvement for you! Hope you continue to feel better.
  • Posted

Once my TSH rose well into the normal range, i.e. 1.5 to 2.5, my antibodies were tested and they were within the normal range.  My Endo would not discontinue meds if they were not.  Since they are not tested as often as TSH, Free T3 and Free T4, it is difficult to put a time on when it happened, other than once my labs were all normal, I asked for them to be tested.  
    • Posted

thanks linda! im so glad theres someone like you on this board! i responded below but my TSH is still at <.006 while my t4/t3 have all lowered back down to a normal level. adding the supplements now and hoping for the best! 

• Posted

sorry to bother you again linda, but may I ask how much acetyl l carinitine you started off with at first? also how much did you taper down at a time? thanks! 

added my lab values after 2 months of meds below: 

free T4: 1.61

T3: 157

TSH: <.006

TSI: 218

Thyrotropin ab serum: 1.95 

• Posted

I started on 1,000 mg of Acetyl and 1,000 mg of Regular L-Carnitine.  I never went over the 1,000 mg of Acetyl and quickly had to cut it down to 500 mg.  I had to vary things a lot. As my TSH rose rapidly, my doc told me to take every other day meds so i took my Acetyl every day (had discontinued the Regular carnitine) and took my meds every other day.  At one point, he lowered my meds to 2.5 mg daily and I stopped the Acetyl altogether so you have to play around with this a lot and keep your values within the normal range because when combined with meds, it causes your TSH to rise rapidly.  My Frees fell to bottom of range but as long at they did not go below bottom, I was fine with that.  Then I was taking 3.5 mg 3 or 4 times a week without Acetyl.
    • Posted

thanks again linda! youre always so knowledable and helpful!
  • Posted

I've been on Carbimazol since March 2017 my T3 T4 are still high. Now my liver function tests are high. Alps 386 and Alts gone up to 58. I personally don't understand why, or if they'll eventually return to normal. I too feel dreadful, I have Graves which is probably fighting the drugs. I remember my endo saying it could take 18 months though.

• Posted

I suspect your drug dosage is quite high, especially if your T3 and T4 are still high.   For myself, when I got tested for my carnitine levels, vitamin D levels and magnesium levels and  added these supplements and others to my meds, it made the meds more effective and my Endo was able to quickly lower my meds dosage. Usually the liver problems occur at high dosages of meds.  I was fortunate that my T3 and T4 normalized right away on meds but my TSH would not budge until I added those supplements and the doc could not lower my dosage while my TSH remained at less than 0.001
    • Posted

yes, within 2 months my t4 and t3 have loweed back down to a normal level but my TSH is still <.006. looking to add the supplements now and im getting retested within 4-5 weeks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.