How long did it take for your side effects to disappear after stopping Amlodipine?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all! Just curious as to how long it took for your side effects of amlodipine to wear off after stopping. It has been 3 weeks since I stopped amlodipine and was switched by my doctor to Olmesartan. My joint and muscle pain were gone after two weeks. However, the pain has been replaced by occasional tingling and numbness mostly in my left elbow, shoulders and right foot. So I am curious if these could still possibly be lingering effects of Amlodipine or are new side effects caused by Olmesartan. Is there such as a thing as Amlodipine withdrawals? I did read a post here about someone having neuropathy due to Amlodipine and that the effects were permanent. I am beginning to fear that that is the case for me. The optimist in me however is thinking that this is just my body repairing itself after damage done by Amlodipine. 

Just to add, numbness and tingling were not really one of my side effects while on Amlodipine. It was severe pain in my joints and muscles which are now gone. 

Thanks in advance for the input. I do have another appointment with my doctor in a week but just curious about the experiences of others. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

ramvin, my Amlodipine side effects all disappeared in two to three weeks.  If you were switched to Olmesartan immediately on stopping the Amlodipine and your new symptoms arrived shortly afterwards, they could just be a sign of your body adjusting to the switch and could resolve after a month or so.  Numbness in the feet can be caused by any problem going on in the spine so if it continues, I would get that checked out.  Continue being an "optimist", and hopefully all will be well.  Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, MrsO-UK Surrey. It is curious that I have the tingling feelings after the pain had disappeared. I did read that one side effect of Olmesartan was tingling and numbness in the hands and feet. So it could be that I my body needs to get used to the medication as you said. I also did however read on another site that it can take up to 5 weeks for musculo-skeletal side effects of amlodipine to fade. I guess I will just give this a couple more weeks and observe some more. One thing is for sure though, I feel so much better than when I was taking Amlodipine.  

Thanks once again! smile

• Posted

do you or did you have any leg pain after taking this garabge medication?
    • Posted

Hi Jason. Hi. I did have pain mostly on my left knee that would radiate up or down. I would also easily get cramps in my calves at night when just simply switching positions in bed. I also had what feltine sunburned skin in my inner thighs a couple of times.

Leg pain symptoms are mostly gone now with just some minor twinges now and then. Hoping those would go away completely too.

• Posted

You are very fortunate that your muscle stiffness and joint pain went away after two weeks. Are you a younger person? I am over 70 and my muscle stiffness and joint pain has lasted now for 45 days. The muscle stiffness and joint pain has been diagnosed as Rheumatoid Arthritis for me. So age may be a factor in how long side affects last.
    • Posted

Hi Cardon, 

Sorry to hear about your side effects lasting so long. I am 40 yrs old so perhaps age is indeed a factor. I have also been taking natural supplements such as Turmeric and 5htp which I think have been helping. Turmeric is known to relieve pain by acting as an anti-inflammatory while 5htp helps increase serotonin in the body which in turn manages pain. I really think these have been helfpul. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.