How long did people wait before “going for a walk” after bunion surgery?

Posted , 3 users are following.

HI all. i had the bunion on my right foot removed and tendon cut 3 weeks ago today. I had all the big bandages removed last week and light dressing put on. At this appointment my surgeon told me to do what i felt comfortable with walking wise. I am off the crutches and obviously wearing my lovely shoe that they gave me still. I am moving around the house/using stairs pretty much normally now and have ventured round Asda a couple if times. The only pain/discomfort i have had is in the outside edge of my foot but im assuming this is due to the way i'm walking and the fact i have a bunionette there too.

So....my big question is how long did people leave it before they went for a longer walk? I need to go to the post office which is about 1mile away and would be pushing a pram. I feel like i would be ok doing it but friends and family are concerned. I have to wait another 5 weeks before i see my surgeon again which seems an incredibly long time to wait before trying to walk properly again.

ANY experience and advice would be great!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Raeshell

I think you would be ok, it would just be about how comfortable you are. I found it very uncomfortable walking in the boot even short distances so I didn't venture far, no more than five minutes. I think that you would need to maybe be prepared to maybe get a bus or taxi/uber back home if you found the walk there too much.

• Posted

HI mrslewis. thank you for your reply on both my messages. i have decided to do some proper (much needed) housework today instead but may venture out later in the week.

what type of shoe/boot did you have? mine is a wedge shaped black sandal type that velcros onto the foot. i think most of my pain is coming from wearing this as there is very little padding beneath your foot. after house work the whole sole of my foot is aching but no pain in my toe which is good.

• Posted

Hi, I had the same shoe as you sounds like but with thick sole so quite high up. The difference in hight made me walk with a limp also.

• Posted

Hi Raeshell, I m not sure I would recommend walking a mile any time soon. Walking is something you have to build up gradually. I had double bunionectomy last February. Luckily, I had only minimal discomfort and pain. Like you, I longed to walk again. I went on holiday to the US in April and wanted to see the sights up close etc. I did see a lot but I was so exhausted! It took approx 4 months before I was able to walk to the standard I had before the op. Walk a little further each day, and try not to rush your healing. I am aspiring to climb mountains again, in the spring. It is one of the reasons why I had surgery. Mountain climbing had become so painful, because of bunions and plantar fasciitis.

• Posted

thanks for your reply audrey. your probably right that i should build up to it. in my mind i think "a mile is nothing" because i walked so much before but i wouldnt want to push it and set myself back. i have been on my feet most of the day today and once the kids were in bed i couldnt wait to sit down and take that shoe off! my foot aches like i have walked miles in the most uncomfortable shoes ever. the only bit that doenst ache is the bit they operated on! lol

climbing mountains does sound amazing! good luck, spring will be here before we know it!

• Posted

four weeks after

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.