How long did you stop biologics and methotrexate for surgery?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have a few surgeries coming up and was wondering how long everyone stopped ahead of time and how long after? I am having a spinal cord stimulator first and then 2 foot surgeries. My doctor said a week before and week after but just wanted to see what everyone else has done.

Thanks!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had carpal tunnel release on both hands and tendon release on one wrist.  I was told to skip methotrexate the week of the surgery, so just one dose.
  • Posted

Cannot advise on biologic's but I have had double hip replacement, stayed on MTX for the first one, taken 6 days before surgery, one day post surgery when MTX offered to me also decided to forego medication that particular week.

2nd time around, my surgery was on the Monday morning, and my MTX over the weekend, I decided not to take my MTX that week, a big sigh of relief from the surgical team when they asked me when I had last taken my MTX, but never explained to me.

I do remeber the surgeron saying they could cope with patient who was on MTX quiet well, I was a little concerned, but they didn't seem to have a problem.

But the chemists at the hospital who interviewed me before my surgery, and what I was allergic to and what I was taking prior to surgery never even mentioned stopping taking MTX.

Chemists did ask me to stop my Fish Oil suppluments capsules, 6000mg daily,  prescribed by my Rheumo from first diagnoses, the week prior to my surgery, nothing else, from my understanding with the fish oil, is it can make your blood extra thin and is a danger of excess bleeding during surgery, didn't really cause me any problems to stop, but got straight back onto my fish oil after I got home.

• Posted

I take 25mg mtx and 50mg embrel weekly and going in for knee replacement. I was told to stop them 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after. I've also noticed that I have a hard time healing wounds like pimples and misketo bites ever since I started taking embrel.

• Posted

Hi Kelly, I had a hip replacement 4 weeks ago and I was told to stop taking my Roactemra 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after. I stopped my Methotrexate as well but my surgeon told me 1 week before and 1 week after. Listening to other people it seems to depend on what the surgeon says.

​I hope you get a definitive answer, if there is such a thing with RA and your surgeries go well.

Best wishes, Elspeth

• Posted

Hi Kelly, before my knee replacement I was instructed to stop my Humira 6 weeks before but to continue with my methotrexate. I could restart it after my clips were removed and no evidence of any infection. Hope it goes well. Carol x
  • Posted

I have a knee surgery coming up and was told just be off the week before and after too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.