How long did you used the bandage

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am in week 7 and I was told by the dr that I dont need to use the bandage since the 3rd week.  I did it but I realized I need to have some support for the little walknig I do around the house.  Also let me know if someone is experiencing inflammation in the area of the surgery in week  7  and what are the best sandals you found.

Please let me know your experience.   Thank you.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm six weeks post op today. I had bunionectomy,realignment and fusion, the gap with my big toe was wide so at week three I started wearing a support bandage, this made the site of surgery inflamed, I no longer wear the support. The inflammation comes and goes, I have a consultant appt this Thursday. I can't wear shoes yet as the foot is still a bit swollen, I'm wearing protective boot.
    • Posted

I started week 7   I am the same way as you do My foot is imflamed that I cannot use any sandals.  I tried Mephisto, Birkenston, keen, Teva.  These ones are a little better but I need to have open the straps from the toe area because of the imflamation.  I am tired of the boot I was wearing with the extreme heat from the weather in San Diego but I couldn't walk at all with any other sandals.  Today the dr. told me that I have to use the shoes. I told him I acnnot and I even tried the sandals he sells in his office and I couldn't put my foot inside because of the inflamation.  He said no and he is not going to write me a sick leave.  He said that I am ready to go to work.  Can you believe.  I am a teacher and I have to walk a lot not only in the classroom but also from classroom to clasroom and a lot of stairs.  This is very frustrated it. 

If he thinks I am fine why he prescribed me an antiinflamatory cream.  I cannot believe it.

I hope you feel better.  Thank you for your advise.   

• Posted

Hello I am 6 weeks post op now and can,t get my foot into any of my shoes though I did manage to squeeze it into a trainer. I have bought a pair of Skechers go walk in one size larger than my normal size and they are really comfortable. My foot still swells and my toe is pretty stiff so am doing lots of toe movements to try to loosen it up.. ...really can,t wait for this to be over.

good luck. If you can try out the Skechers they don,t irritate my scar area at all.xxx

• Posted

Carole thank you VERY much for sharing.  I will go and check these shoes.  I am the same way as you.  Last week I was desperate to get out of the boot, the only shoe I could walk beacuse it is soft and roomy but very hot and in Sab Diego we have very hot weather now 90/100  so I force my foot to wear a Teva and I removed all my scar are of the side.  It was painful OMG

Do you mind to send me a picture of your foot next time.  I will send you one tomorrow.  I am very tired today.  Best wishes to get over this ordeal both of us.  So long

• Posted

Carole, I went to my GP and told me that my foot doesn't look good.  & weeks and the inflammation is high.  Here is a picture of my foot
    • Posted

Hello Marisol. Everybody heals at different rates. Did the doctor suggest anything? You live in a very hot place. I know when we had a couple of hot & sunny days here in England my foot really didn't,t like it. It became very hot & sweaty. It used to swell really badly. So I,m guessing that may be why your taking a while to heal. Having said that your foot and scare area looks similar to mine. Here are some photos. Plus the shoes I wear. 
    • Posted

Thank you Carole.  I live in San Diego CA USA.  Yes the weather have been very hot and  it is not helping however the inflamation has been constant the same as the numbess on my second toe (hammer toe) top and bottom.

An orthopedic and my primary told me that my foot doesn't look it is healing propertly so my primary dr.  will send me to a second opinion DR.  I will let you know. 

Could you tell me the name of your shoes, maybe I can find them here in CA.

Enclosed the new pictures

• Posted

The shoes are Skechers go walk. You definitely have them in good Old USA

I am struggling to walk normally. I have aquired a limp so I hope I can get back to normal soon.

Hope your doctor can sought you out quickly.

Good Luck.xx

• Posted

Hi all,

I had my six week check up yesterday at the hospital, I saw my X-ray and was surprised just how long the screws and plate is, looks like a centipede !

My toe has completely fused and healed well, but my consultant is not happy with the way the surgeon left a gap between my toes. I have another appt. in six weeks. The consultant said the inflammation on my toe is nothing to worry about.Yesterday was my last day of wearing the protective boot and have started wearing swimming shoes, the elastic red kind that you wear in the sea, very comfy and stretchy.

Hoping you are feeling better.

• Posted

Hi Terrie, I was busy  trying to get a second opinion because my toe that used to be a hammer toe now is without any support and is sinking.  The other toes are trying to overlap this second one.  I don't know what the surgeon did but it is not right.  I am very sad because it is not only the looks but also I cannot walk much because I have a sharp pain in the area of the second one top and buttom.  The big toe is also down but not as much as the second one. Under the big toe I am developing calluses that I didnd have before.

Due to this condition of pain, I have done any exercises for 8 weeks I want to start going to the water exercises to relieve my stress.  where did you get your swimming shoes?

Thanks a lot and the best wishes for your foot health.

• Posted

Hi Marisol, really sorry to hear your really going through it.  Did you manage to get a second opinion? If so what did they say?  Am always here to support you if I can.

take care.xx

• Posted

Hi Marisol,

I can totally understand what you're going through, the lack of excercise due to the pain. I bought my swimming shoes from a sports shop, they expand as the foot swells.

I'm still having probs with my toe, I did a lot of walking last Sunday, on Monday morning my foot was swollen and inflamed, I kept it elevated for three days.

I think it's a time thing for us, still early days in recovery.

All the best.

• Posted

Hi Terri, try hot and cold therapy....... That's one bowl of hot water and one bowl of iced cold water, your foot will love it.It helps with the swelling.

Good luck.xxx

• Posted

Hi Carole Marie,

I haven't heard of that before but sounds a really good idea, thanks for that 

xx

• Posted

Hi Terri,

Thank you very much for your understanding and the tip to buy the shoes.  Yesterday I went in the pool.   When I was moving my foot, I felt that something moved.  The next day my foot was not as blue as before. 

My second toe still looking bad.  It sis sinking a lot.  The referral to see another podiatrist was authorized so I will let you know what is his opinion

• Posted

Hi Carole,

The referral was authorized so next week I will call his office for an appoinment and let you know.  Thak you VERY much for your support. 

• Posted

Hi Carole,

I went to the second opinion today.   The doctor saw the x rays from the lab that were taken Sept 9 2015 the next day I saw the surgeon and there were NO pins.

I went to the surgeon office Sept 8, he  took x rays in his office and showed me the pins on my foot and said tha everything was OK. 

So, what happed with the pins.  They cannot be dissolved in ONE day.  The second doctor asked me to request all the documents from the surgeon who did my surgery to see what this doctor did in the surgery. 

The second opinion dr told me that from the x rays from the lab he can see things that are not done right and therefore I am out of balance.  To correct these things I will need to have another surgery.   In my case it would be more painful  because I have already scar tissue and I have to start the hold process of recuperation again.  He said to give it a try to go to physical therapy to see if this can make my step more even and we go from there. 

In the mean time I have so much pain to walk more that 5 minutes because I am out of balance , the foot is inflamed and have to sleep with my legs elevated in one position all night (I have been sleeping like that for week 9  I really don't sleep well like that anymore).

Did you have pins in your foot?  If so how long do they dissolve?

I will keep you posted.

• Posted

Hi Marisol, Really sorry to hear this. Yes I have 3 screws in my foot that will stay there forever unless I have any trouble with them but upto now 8 weeks post op I.m ok. I have not heard of dissolveable pins only stitches.

To help with the pain, swelling and colour put your foot in a bowl of hot water then after a few minutes change to a bowl of ice cold water this is also good for the circulation. Try and do this a few times a day. Hope this helps.

Let us know how you get on.xxx

• Posted

Hi Carol -Thank you very much for the tip of hot and cold.  I have the appoinment to the physical therapy next week.  I will let you know if I  have some improvement,  Best xxxooo . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.