How long did you wait for surgery?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi there,

I'm new to the board. I was diagnosed with small gallstones and partially calcified gallbladder walls last Friday following a week of GB attacks and my GP referred me to the surgical team on Monday.

I was wondering how long people had to wait between their referral and their surgery. There is no doubt in my mind that I want my GB out ASAP. The bland low fat diet is already grating on me and the fear of eating is awful sad

Patience has never been a virtue of mine when I'm ill.

3 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ooooh I'd play it to your advantage and causal go to that department n 'chat' to someone!!! Should have some perks working for nhs:-).
  • Posted

Hello I start having GB attacks at the end of my 1 Pregnancy back in July, after many trips to E&A, I finally was diagnosed with gallstones in September. When I had my pre surgery assessment, the surgeon told me that he was going to try to do my op within 18 weeks. I went in shock to think I had to wait that long for the op. I was very scare like you to eat anything that would trigger the pain. After that, I had a few more horrendous attacks, until  one time was sooo bad that I returned to the E&A, where they told me I had to have emergency operation due to developed pancreatitis. That was in October. Hope that your op will be soon because I know how GB pain feels like. 
  • Posted

You don't want to become an emergency op like happened to me. If you pay do it privately. I know its veryy expensive so I couldn't do it otherwise I would have done. I am still suffering 4 months after surgery with side effects and think it was because of being emergency op. Good luck 
    • Posted

Hi Leni,

My op was end of September on the NHS, but lucky not too long a wait. I also am still recovering from it. Everyone isdifferent so time recovery will be an individual thing.

• Posted

All this sounds extremely worrying because I was misdiagnosed with acid reflux three months ago and when it got worse another doctor diagnosed me with GB infection and made a referral to the community hospital for testing. The pain I am currently suffering is not too terrible as I can manage it some of the time. But most times I get heartburn, indigestion and a lot of pain on both my shoulders and under both sets of ribs. Apparently GB can do this. Help me out here... what can I do while I wait for my tests and op?
  • Posted

Hi Im still waiting after 5 years nearly six , it now an urgent referal but the NHS have showed no urgency in my case .The surgery is still not booked as the hospital my GP "choose" cannot do 2 weeks, the earliest they can do is March 2015.  

I have severe pain and sickness every day ,my GP said go to the A &E if it gets worse , which is still in special measures for continually failing to provide care t patients .I cannot get hold of my GP , so i am considering legal action.

• Posted

I am still waiting for gallbladder removal was admitted to hospital 28th August 2015 had scan discovered I had stones the hospital was unable to remove them all so transferred me to another hospital where they tried but failed. I was sent home to recuperate took 4 months Jan 2016 for them to send for me to try again and fail. 2 months later March 2016 they tried a different procedure which I was told was very expensive and so not used often. They managed to remove stones from duct and was told I would have my gallbladder out within the next 12 weeks. Had pre op in April 2015 but never got an appointment. They sent for me for another pre op in July 2017 but still have no date. first pre op I had was told would cover the next 6 weeks. Next I was told that pre op was ok for up 3 months. I have now been told that pre ops have extended to 6 months cover. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.