How long do alcohol withdrawal headaches last?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was drinking everyday for close to 2 years, now im cold turkey for 2 weeks and my headaches dont seem to go away. I also experience strong anxiety, but i can deal with that. The headaches though, they kill my whole day, they even make me feel lightheaded and sick.

How long am I supposed to suffer? =(

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

It's worth seeing a doctor to get it checked out. It may be entirely unrelated to drinking.
    • Posted

You think so? I get so much anxiety from the headache so its even hard to go to a hospital...

Concerning my drinking i was really dependant on it. Every time i felt anxiety and ran home and drank, and so on.

• Posted

You don't need to go to a hospital, go and see your own doctor and get it checked out in case it is something that needs treatment. Don't be anxious about it, it could be something which is easily treated but these things are best not left.
    • Posted

Definitely related to alchohol . Drinking every day for 2 years then quitting is going to give you these symptoms
    • Posted

Not necessarily, Antonio. The physical withdrawal symptoms from alcohol are normally gone after 72 hours (although not the craving). I wouldn't want to say that headaches two weeks later should be ignored and put down to that. It could be that the constant presence of alcohol was acting as a pain killer and the headaches, which appeared after the alcohol was gone, could be for a different reason. Always worth checking to be sure.

• Posted

Hi. I'm a few weeks sober, 1 binge in 5 months so I've been there. As Paul said you should see or just ring your Dr who will help. I had the same but the lethargy is the hardest and still have it now. But I'm happy and feel peaceful most days and anything is better than a hangover or in a drinking binge hell. My dr always gives me good advice and said having years of being permanently drinking and/or anxious and stressed, (in fight or flight) too much adrenaline for body to cope with, it can take weeks, months for the body to recover. So bare that in mind and stay strong. It will pass but still talk to Dr. Hope that helps and good luck...
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply! I will do that!

Like these kind words help alot!

• Posted

Hi there Danne:

I've been alcohol free for 10 days now, and my headache and pressure remains as well.  All other symptoms have dissipated, except the pain in my head and upper back.  I've seen my Doctor, and she wasn't concerned at this point.  Although most people's symptoms are gone in about a week, perhaps there are some whose symptoms linger for a bit longer.  I'm going to wait about another week and if things don't improve, I'll follow up with the doctor.  I'd suggest you do the same, but I'm optimistic that both of us will be feeling much better in a week.

• Posted

Thank you too for your kind and encouraging words! Lets both beat that damn headache! =) 
  • Posted

Also, I just had a massage that concentrated on my upper back, neck and head, and that seemed to help as well. 
  • Posted

how long do he shakes last i cant tae this first dy sober
    • Posted

Nicki. You must NOT attempt to stop drinking without medical help if you are getting the shakes. Those can turn to more serious symptoms like seizures and it can be extremely dangerous. If your withdrawal symptoms are severe, you MUST drink and try and get your doctor to sort you out with an alcohol detox.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.