How long do I have left to live?

Posted , 6 users are following.

It's a tough question to answer I know but... how long can one expect to live with Chronic Pancreatitis? Thank you.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey Jon,

As long as you maintain your diet and don't drink alcohol again, that will inflame your pancreas, you can lead a normal life as others. You will have a normal lifespan. I know what your going through, I also have CP, I know it's tough, so cheer up.

• Posted

Thanks Tom.

What about diet? I need to start tmrw, what can ppl recommend?

This ain't easy....but I will try to cheer up

• Posted

You should have soft diet, food items which are easy to digest. You should avoid high fat foods, fried items, carbonated drinks.

What is your condition, what did your doc say about your condition. Are you taking digestive enzymes?

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Jon, As far as I am aware longterm prognosis is dependant on what caused your CP, with me, I fall into the unknown catagory as I have never been a drinker nor fit any other scenerio. But obviously for those who drink they should stop immediately, we have to look after ourselves now, perhaps more than we would have before CP and we should keep our appointments with the doctors.

If you are concerned about anything you should ask your consultant, especially about something so important and I am sure you will get an informed honest answer in return.

In the meantime stay positive, surround yourself with good friends and family and be happy smile

• Posted

Hi Jon, yes as Tom said, you can live a normal life span if you take care of yourself.  A bit of luck thrown in doesn't hurt so you won't have a crisis during an attack.  We're all different and I'm not saying some haven't had life threatening issues but it's rare.  Talk to your doctor.

My chronic pancreatitis is called Chronic Auto Immune Pancreatitis, I have another even more challenging genetic disease which can throw pancreatitis as a rare complication. I've never had alcohol as a result of that one and get a bit pissed when doctors especially tell me I'd have been better off if I'd kept off the bottle. 

As for diet, no alcohol, low fat healthy diet and smaller meals more often is best.  That can be hard to get used to but if you think ahead each day you can put together healthy snacks so you aren't starving at the end of the day and overload your stomach with one enormous serving. 

When having an attack it's better not to eat much (or at all if you're sick enough to be in hospital), I tend to stick to easy to digest foods, no red meat, soft foods and only small amounts when symptoms become active. 

Don't forget to take your digestive enzymes immediately before eating anything at all, no exceptions, and remember they only last for 30 minutes so if your meal takes longer take more enzymes, you can't overdose on them.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Jon, like others say, we are all different! I have had CP since I was 17, I am 47 now! My CP was linked to trauma, I was having CP attacks every 4-5 weeks, so a week or so at home, then 2-4 weeks in hospital! My CP is very active, so please bear that in mind! In 2007 I had liver failure, and needed a transplant, which I was very fortunate to get! Since then my attacks have got better, so the future is always there for us! Try not to worry, my case was very severe, try to look after yourself the best you can. Avoid alcohol, and it is very important to manage your pain well! If you are honest with your doctors, they can help you live with this condition as pain free as possible! Try and get help from your local hospital from the pain management department! They understand CP much better now! Good luck, I hope you get yourself sorted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.