How long do I need this boot on!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I broke my fifth metatarsel whilst on holiday in Norfolk nearly eight weeks ago. Was put in boot and as I was going abroad after five weeks, was told that I could take it off at five weeks.  Had holiday abroad and walking was not too bad not much pain. However it would sell quite a bit.  After six weeks had X-ray once home and showed it was still broken!  Told tovgovto doctors for his decision but to put boot back on.  Week after went to doc and surprise surprise, x ray not back!  The hospital is only a five minute drive.  Anyway doctor told me he would chase it up and get in touch.  Nearly another week has passed and nothing. So still using boot when I go out, but not indoors.  Very little pain but still swells after been on it.  Just worried I may be prolonging healing by not wearing boot but it's so cumbersome round the house. And can't drive either. How long does it take to heal?  And more importantly, how long des it take for an X-ray to get from A to B!  Two weeks on, imy X-ray must be out f date now.  Rant over

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Boy that sounds so frustrating! I am going to get mine re x-rayed on October 1st but I have been walking on my heel for a couple weeks, since I was about 4 weeks in the boot and now after reading yours I am more nervous. I thought if I wasn't having much pain I could get away with not wearing the boot. To hear you were told you still have a break is awful. I also know there is no reason the xray should not be with the doctor after 1 week! Please let me know how it turns out for you.
  • Posted

Hi I broke my 5th metatarsal(4th, 3rd, and 2nd too) on 27th may was told on wed at hospital the bones have healed still getting physio. My foot still swells on walking or standing too long I can walk upstairs but still not able to walk downstairs properly.
  • Posted

I can better both of you... I broke my third metatarsel back last October. I wobble around with just an elastic bandage on (the xray showed no fracture because of swelling). 5 wks later got to the foot doc and he put me a cast. Ready to be scared... I was in for 2.5 months... From the week before Christmas to March 11. Went through therapy (about 8 weeks worth), still swelled, no pain.

It's now September, nearly a year later and still have swelling. My toes have never returned to normal, although the swelling is more like when you eat a lot of salt.

I had an MRI, and nothing there. So now I'm on the search for more options to get rid of the swelling. I am wearing my flip flop sandals (they're not the cheap ones that most people wear). I can wear my moccasins, but my swelling poofs up in the spot not covered by the shoe.

I had found on here another doc that said he hates putting people in boots because lack of motion of your ankle.

Oh and I only wore the boot about 9 hours a day, because I just wrapped my foot up at night when I was home.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.