How long do I need to take d-mannose for relief from UTI?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking 24-27 x 1000mg tablets for the last 5 days. In the last two days I also took potassium citrate to keep my urine alkaline. The symptoms are much improved but not gone completely. How much longer do I need to take it? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Caroline53

It is usual to continue with DM for several weeks, (especially if you have recurrent UTI and/or have been on antibiotics)  reducing the dosage over time. Then a maintenance dose every night. DM is excellent.

It isn't just about relief, it is also clearing bugs out of the urinary tract.

• Posted

Thank you, that's really helpful. It just seems like a lot to take but I'll carry on. It is my third infection in a year and before that I had about two a year so maybe  there is  a lot of bugs to clear out.....! I'm nervous about it reaching my kidneys but check my urine with a dipstick three times a day and at the moment it looks OK.

• Posted

If you have been on antibiotics 'at any time' for UTI's it is worth googling Biofilms in bladder.

My GP has even heard about these now, she is exceptionally open to using alternative treatments and even reccs DM to other patients since she saw how it helped me many years ago.

• Posted

Dmannose 2g at least 6 times a day that included morning and night for about a month helped me after a year of constant bladder infections.  As soon as I started using less only morning and night, I got uti again.

I found that the powder is better as switching to capsules was less strong and only about 1,000 mg.  2g is twice that much.  You have to be vigilant no stopping or forgetting because it will come back.  My dr prescribed methenamine to keep the urine acidic & I stopped dmannose but I got a return uti in December!  After two rounds of Cipro, I’m on macrobid but now I’m also taking dmannose and will never stop using it!  My dr said I was one of the “lucky ones” as burdening UTIs control my life.

Keep up dmannose as it will ultimately help and I’m not giving up either.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.