How long do I need to take mirtazapine before I feel better?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I have been taking mirtazapine for about 3 weeks now and have alot of the usual symptons like sleepinh heavily and increased appetite.

My issue is that I am still up and down. Some times I am ok, and quite calm, then I am incredibily down and unhappy. Also I generally feel quite numb. Before I used to suffer from depression and anxiety. Now the anxiety is mostly gone, but still depressed at times and feel like I am not in full control of my emotions. Also I don't seem to have many happy moments. Before mirtazapine, I had anxiety and depression at times, but at least I also had happy moments. Now I feel like I cannot be bothered with things.

I do know it takes time, but just how long? I'm scared that it will be like this for months and then I will just come off them and gone through all this for nothing.

Does anyone have any advice or stories to share.

Many thanks

Nicholas

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicholas,

I have been on mirt for some time now (5 months). I was put on it as it is particularly good at dealing with anxiety. I started on 30MG, which i did not feel worked, so i went back to my doc to ask to try at different med. He told me to continue with the mirt but increased it to 45MG. I still have not noticed the difference. I still suffer anxiety at work.

However, alot of people have noticed the difference being on these meds and think they work wonders. They may actually work for me, it's just i haven't personally noticed any difference.

Maybe i expect to much from any medication, but unless it pulls me out of depression or stops me stressing out altogether then i think they don't work. Perhaps i would be worse without them,but i still feel pretty crappy with them.

Everyone i talk to about anti-depressants who have also taken them speak as though there magic little pills that work wonders. Personally i can't say i recommend any of the four types i have tried.

Anyone i would give it a little more time, if you still feel no benefit in 2-3 weeks i would certainly return to your doc and ask for different meds.

Take care

Paul

• Posted

3 weeks is a short period of time nicholas, you need to give it a little longer to work. Most GPs would say to give it at least 6 weeks before making a judgement about it.

Without trying to put you off I've been on Mirtazapine 45mg now for over 16weeks and as far as im aware its done nothing. However i guess i dont know where i'd be wiothout it.

Im also on three other meds, so there is always other stuff you can give a go.

I hope something works for you

• Posted

Hi Nicholas, I have been on Mirt for about two years and suffered from both anxiety and depression, prior to it all going wrong in2005 I was a very driven person just high on life with constant bursts of adrenalin and always saw it as positive stress, when it went wrong it did big time my doctor tried me on various other meds before this one and all increased my anxiety, this one is not perfect and has side effects as you can find from all the other posts but it does help you to sleep and tasks the edge off things, it took about three months before I felt it was working so give it time, if you are not suffering from bad side affects try to stick with it.
  • Posted

Hi,

My doctors been telling me to wait for three to four months until I can make a judgement about how the Mirtazapine works. As far as i can tell it made a difference at first, because I could sleep so much, and just stop thinking, but soon wears off and feel almost the same. I'd say it's got almost to the stage where im beginning to feel the same as i did before and I'm three months in and on 30mg a night.

Starting to think drugs are useless, but I guess its different for each person.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.