how long do i take off with stress/depression

Posted , 7 users are following.

ive recently been signed off work with stress related problems my quandry is that for the first time in 26 years ive been given a sick note to be signed off work and im feeling guilty .

to sum up why arrived in this state i have lost 5 members of my immediate family to cancer in the past 6 years the most recent being my sister last year .i cared for both my parents when they were terminally ill.i suffered a relationship break up 3 years ago after being together 7 years .

i moved from glasgow to manchester  to be with my current partner 2 years ago to which we have set up home together .i obtained employment in manchester to which i was doing really well ,so much so i was moved to another role within the company on which i had reservations .but i went ahaead with the job despite the fact i was doing the job of 2 people .i was averaging 52 hrs a week over the past 4 months and to be hones tim mentally and physically empty .how much time do i take off.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry for the many losses you have recently suffered.  It sounds as though you were coping until you were derailed by an unrealistic workload at your job.  How much time can you take off without jeopardizing your employment?  When you go back to work, tell them you deserve relief from the impossible situation you were in.  I hope you have family and friends to talk to during this upset.  A medical provider will have to give a date for your return to work so see one soon--and ask for help.
    • Posted

I have been asking for support from my employer to which I have kept copies of . I have been to the doctors and been prescribed setraline . I've never taken a long spell off work before so felt guilty I don't want to take too long off as it would be more difficult to get back the longer I leave it . On the other hand I need to recharge emotionally and physically 
  • Posted

Honestly, you should take off as much as you need. With everything you are going through it sounds like it will be difficult to perform your job well. I would work with your doctor to determine an approriate way of figuring out when you are 'better'.
  • Posted

Hi; normally you can have 1 week self certified but i know from experience that may not be long enough. If i were you i would see if the doctor will sign you off for 1 month..after that you can always suggest a phased return to your employer e g just going in for half days at first when you go back and then working your way up back to full days...a lot of employers will now let u do this. I hope this helps smile
  • Posted

Brian when u feel better.. The dr u see to help u thru this will better be able to give u a realistic answer to UR ? 

Sending healing hugs UR way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.